+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Continuous Study & PGWP

Schon2

Apr 29, 2019
So I just applied for a PGWP within the 90 days time and while my study permit was still valid. I wrote an email to the international student advisers in my university to confirm if I have an implied status and I am allowed to work.

They replied that I am not allowed to work because my last semester and my second last semester were part time.

So there is a bit of back ground to this:

January 2018: I have only 2 courses left to complete my graduation, I enrol for those 2 courses, the exam date is in April 2018, but my study permit expires March 31, 2018 and I am unable to renew my study permit before March 31 as someone had stolen all my documents including my passport.

March: I stopped going to classes and did not write the final exam as required by law as I no longer had a valid status.

May: I submit an application for Study permit and restoration of Status within the 90 days providing all supporting documents including letter of explanation of why I failed to renew my study permit and copies of the police report for my stolen documents, along with a letter from university that I have only 2 courses left to complete my program requirements.

Late July: Study permit and restoration approved. I re-enrol for the 2 remaining courses and complete them by December 2018.

January 2019: I get my Credential completion letter

Late February: Applied for PGWP within the 90 time period and Study permit was still valid.

Do you guys see any discrepancies in this? The reason why my university said that I violated the rules is the Spring 2018 semesters which was supposed to be my last and it was the reason why I took two courses. It did not end up being my last as I had to drop out as required by law and I couldn't renew my permit on time due to stolen passport. Since then I got status restored and completed the remaining courses in Fall. I am very confused about whether I am allowed to work while waiting for pgwp or I am ineligible due to Spring 2018 semester.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I have never seen anything like that, as far as all the official documentation as soon as you apply for pgwp you are allowed to work, there is nothing in there about part time semesters.
Also small note you have 180 days to apply for PGWP & I think you should have just applied for your extension as passport is not required during extension of SP.

Schon2

Apr 29, 2019
I have never seen anything like that, as far as all the official documentation as soon as you apply for pgwp you are allowed to work, there is nothing in there about part time semesters.
Also small note you have 180 days to apply for PGWP & I think you should have just applied for your extension as passport is not required during extension of SP.
That is if you were allowed to work during your studies. One of the requirements to be allowed to work during study semesters is to be enrolled full time in all your prior semesters except for summers.