+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Continuous (?) student work for Express Entry

Feb 11, 2024
Hi everyone! My first post here. I'm currently considering applying to the Express Entry program as a Federal Skilled Worker. I've been doing a PhD in the US since 2018. When I was admitted to grad school, my contract/offer letter said that I will be working at the university as a teaching assistant in the fall and spring semesters between September 2019 to May 2021. The work is part-time (20 hours a week).
I have a couple of questions about this. Because I have been technically a PhD student this whole time, I believe my work experience counts as student work experience, and for the FSW program it needs to be 'continuous work' meaning I have no gap in employment. However, because TAs typically work only during Fall and Spring semesters, I did get my TA wage only during the academic semesters (September-January, January-May) of those years. And that excludes the winter and summer breaks, during which I would get my income through research fellowships instead, which do not count as work. However, my employment was guaranteed as per my admission letter, meaning there was expected continuity. I have almost 2000 hours of TA work in total in the four semesters covering that period. So, I'm wondering if it is okay to say that I have worked for one year (>1560 hours) in my application.

I didn't start my application yet and don't know at what stage I need to prove my employment. When I calculate my CRS points, I see that it makes sense to try only if my TA work (primary occupation) counts towards my total work experience. So, I wanted to make sure it does before starting to work on arranging my English and French proficiency tests. I sent out a question on the IRCC website too but haven't heard back from them yet. If there is any suggestion as to who I should contact about this for a definitive answer, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!