+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Consulate want me to pay a fee for information only IM1444e

Bloomerloaf

Sep 14, 2024
First of all, I hope this is in the correct forum section. If not then could a mod please move it to the correct section please :)

I am in the UK. I have been trying to get a "for information only" IM1444e to see whether I am inadmissible to Canada due to previous criminal records. I sent in the form before Covid started and didn't receive a reply until a couple of months ago. So that is more than four years for a reply! o_O The letter said that they had cancelled my application because I didn't attach a criminal record certificate. I thought that I didn't need to send this as the form was for information only and the guidance said that I would be advised if I needed to supply any other documentation.

So I get a police certificate and resend the forms in for information only including photocopied passport as well as the certificate.

I get a letter from them saying that I need to pay a processing fee to apply and they will cancel my application if I don't reply within a set time. I sent a letter back to say that I didn't want to apply but wanted to be assessed and included a printout of this webpage highlighting the part about sending the form for information only and that you should not need to pay a fee to be assessed:

Being assessed by a visa office

I get another letter saying that for information only was not a category of application and they would cancel my application if they did not hear back from me by a certain date. That date was a little over a week from when I received the letter. The date of the letter and the postmark of when it was processed by the post office on the envelope were a week apart. So it seems they were trying to give me little time to reply by not sending it promptly. Ironically, their letter actually included a link to an information page that they told me to consult that said not to send a fee for an information only enquiry.

I immediately sent another letter saying that I realised that processing fees were required for applications but I was not applying and that I wanted to be assessed by an officer, basically reading back what the link they sent said.

The most recent reply I received today. It says that I need to pay a processing fee to be assessed, that it takes a year to be assessed and that I would receive a refund if I am found not to be inadmissible. If I don't reply with in a set amount of time then they will cancel my application (what a surprise! :eek:). Also to supply an email for communication. I do not want to supply an email and have my criminal history information on email as I know how unsecure it is. I have worked in IT in the past. They have asked me to give an email several times despite the fact that I have ticked the box on the form saying I want to be contacted by mail only.

I honestly don't trust that I would get a refund as all of the Canadian government web pages imply that refunds of processing fees are not done under any circumstances. Also, I don't want to pay the fee because I'm not supposed to and the website explicitly states not to pay a processing fee.

I have no idea where to go from here. It seems that the consulate is not following the rules that it is supposed to follow and I can't find any way to complain. The whole process seems very bureaucratic when compared to anything government related in the UK.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I should do next?

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
First of all, I hope this is in the correct forum section. If not then could a mod please move it to the correct section please :)

I am in the UK. I have been trying to get a "for information only" IM1444e to see whether I am inadmissible to Canada due to previous criminal records. I sent in the form before Covid started and didn't receive a reply until a couple of months ago. So that is more than four years for a reply! o_O The letter said that they had cancelled my application because I didn't attach a criminal record certificate. I thought that I didn't need to send this as the form was for information only and the guidance said that I would be advised if I needed to supply any other documentation.

So I get a police certificate and resend the forms in for information only including photocopied passport as well as the certificate.

I get a letter from them saying that I need to pay a processing fee to apply and they will cancel my application if I don't reply within a set time. I sent a letter back to say that I didn't want to apply but wanted to be assessed and included a printout of this webpage highlighting the part about sending the form for information only and that you should not need to pay a fee to be assessed:

I get another letter saying that for information only was not a category of application and they would cancel my application if they did not hear back from me by a certain date. That date was a little over a week from when I received the letter. The date of the letter and the postmark of when it was processed by the post office on the envelope were a week apart. So it seems they were trying to give me little time to reply by not sending it promptly. Ironically, their letter actually included a link to an information page that they told me to consult that said not to send a fee for an information only enquiry.

I immediately sent another letter saying that I realised that processing fees were required for applications but I was not applying and that I wanted to be assessed by an officer, basically reading back what the link they sent said.

The most recent reply I received today. It says that I need to pay a processing fee to be assessed, that it takes a year to be assessed and that I would receive a refund if I am found not to be inadmissible. If I don't reply with in a set amount of time then they will cancel my application (what a surprise! :eek:). Also to supply an email for communication. I do not want to supply an email and have my criminal history information on email as I know how unsecure it is. I have worked in IT in the past. They have asked me to give an email several times despite the fact that I have ticked the box on the form saying I want to be contacted by mail only.

I honestly don't trust that I would get a refund as all of the Canadian government web pages imply that refunds of processing fees are not done under any circumstances. Also, I don't want to pay the fee because I'm not supposed to and the website explicitly states not to pay a processing fee.

I have no idea where to go from here. It seems that the consulate is not following the rules that it is supposed to follow and I can't find any way to complain. The whole process seems very bureaucratic when compared to anything government related in the UK.

You'll either have to apply and be processed or get an immigration attorney. You are absolutely right, it says clearly you don't need to "apply" to be assessed but there's no official way of making a complaint if IRCC is not following it's own rules or policy.

Try emailing Aiesha Zafar - Aiesha.Zafar@cic.gc.ca and see if you might get a response. She leads the Migration Integrity and admissibility falls under her purview. Keep your email short and precise not like your post here. Lol. You might just get a response you never know.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

I agree with the advice above. Either pay a fee or you may need legal advice. Cheaper to just pay the fee IMO.

It's honestly very rare that we see people here asking about this kind of application, nevermind for that specific visa office. I think it's unlikely anyone here will be able to give you any concrete advice.

Bloomerloaf

Sep 14, 2024
Thanks for the advice!

I'll try the email suggested. Looks like it is probably going to be paying the fee from what you have said.

Many thanks :D