+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Conjugal Sponsorship Question - Reasons preventing us from living together or getting married

kmocampo

Jul 24, 2024
Hi everyone.

I'm planning to sponsor my partner (girlfriend) from the Philippines. We've been in relationship for 7 years already. My concern is if the "Reasons preventing us from living together or getting married" would be valid.

1. Same-Sex marriage is not allowed in the Philippines
2. I visit Philippines every other year since I move to Canada but work and immigration commitment hinders me from staying in the Philippines for 12 consecutive months thus common law would not be feasible.
3. We consider the possibility of her applying for visitor visa and getting married in Canada. Our relationship is acknowledged by her family and my family but since both of our family is very religious (conservative and traditional) they don't encourage us to get married.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone.

I'm planning to sponsor my partner (girlfriend) from the Philippines. We've been in relationship for 7 years already. My concern is if the "Reasons preventing us from living together or getting married" would be valid.

2. I visit Philippines every other year since I move to Canada but work and immigration commitment hinders me from staying in the Philippines for 12 consecutive months thus common law would not be feasible.
3. We consider the possibility of her applying for visitor visa and getting married in Canada. Our relationship is acknowledged by her family and my family but since both of our family is very religious (conservative and traditional) they don't encourage us to get married.
Has your partner even applied for a visitor visa? If not, then that is the first step before conjugal application. Partner needs to prove that she cannot come to Canada and TRV was refused.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone.

Did you ever live together? If so for how long? Were you dating before coming to Canada? How much time do you spend together in person every 2nd year? Do you help her financially? Agree must attempt to apply for TRV.

kmocampo

Jul 24, 2024
Has your partner even applied for a visitor visa? If not, then that is the first step before conjugal application. Partner needs to prove that she cannot come to Canada and TRV was refused.
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

kmocampo

Jul 24, 2024
Did you ever live together? If so for how long? Were you dating before coming to Canada? How much time do you spend together in person every 2nd year? Do you help her financially? Agree must attempt to apply for TRV.
Did you ever live together? No, we haven't lived together.

Were you dating before coming to Canada? Yes, we started dating back in college. At that time, we live separately since we both live with our respective family (parents). I move to Canada while she's still finishing her college program, so we didn't get the chance to live together.

How much time do you spend together in person every 2nd year? I stay in the the Philippines for 1month - 2 months.

Do you help her financially? Yes, I have receipt of supporting her financially.

Also, thank you for your response.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you ever live together? No, we haven't lived together.

Were you dating before coming to Canada? Yes, we started dating back in college. At that time, we live separately since we both live with our respective family (parents). I move to Canada while she's still finishing her college program, so we didn't get the chance to live together.

How much time do you spend together in person every 2nd year? I stay in the the Philippines for 1month - 2 months.

Do you help her financially? Yes, I have receipt of supporting her financially.

Also, thank you for your response.
Apply for TRV and if denied seems like you have quite a lot of proof of for conjugal relationship. Other option would be to get married in a 3rd country.