+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confusion in difference between statutory questions

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
Hello everyone,

If I got a work permit refusal for Canada should I answer yes to both questions or only 2nd ? (express entry permanent resident application) - I am from a visa exempt country

1. Has [name of applicant] been refused refugee status, or an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

2. Has [name of applicant] ever been refused a visa or permit, denied entry or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

According to this website the term " temporary resident visa" does apply to a work permit (but not according to IRCC website definition of temporary resident visa) https://www.bellissimolawgroup.com/two-of-the-most-dangerous-questions-on-canadian-immigration-forms/

Also I know that sometimes we are asked after to fill the IMM5669 (Schedule A) and that on that form the question 6d is the same as question 1 but 6e does not mention visa or permit and therefore a work permit refusal would automatically fall under question 6d. If that is the case then it makes sense to me that I should answer yes to both questions 1 and 2. Any thoughts ?

6d. Has [name of applicant] been refused refugee status, or an immigrant or permanent resident visa (including a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ) or application to the Provincial nominee Program) or visitor or temporary resident visa, to Canada or any other country?

6e. Has [name of applicant] ever been refused admission to, or ordered to leave Canada or any other country?

Last edited: