+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

confused visitor

thriviazy

Jan 9, 2009
hi there, I came to vancouver in october for a holiday and to visit my uncle. as I am from singapore, we don't need to apply a visa to visit vancouver. I was told by my uncle that I can stay here for 6 months.. apparently, while I was browsing through the immigration site, I found out that there's a difference in the ruling in regards of the immigration stamp. as from the info, I noticed that if the immigration officer at the airport were to stamp out passports with the date of arrival, the duration of the stay will only be for 3 months. I'm kind of confused with which one is correct.

another thing is, if for example that we stayed longer than 3 months, we can apply to restore our status within the 90 days period after the expiry of the visa.. I hope that anyone can advice me on this issue.. thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thriviazy said:
hi there, I came to vancouver in october for a holiday and to visit my uncle. as I am from singapore, we don't need to apply a visa to visit vancouver. I was told by my uncle that I can stay here for 6 months.. apparently, while I was browsing through the immigration site, I found out that there's a difference in the ruling in regards of the immigration stamp. as from the info, I noticed that if the immigration officer at the airport were to stamp out passports with the date of arrival, the duration of the stay will only be for 3 months. I'm kind of confused with which one is correct.

another thing is, if for example that we stayed longer than 3 months, we can apply to restore our status within the 90 days period after the expiry of the visa.. I hope that anyone can advice me on this issue.. thanks
If there is only an entry stamp with no date written under it, you were admitted for 6 months.

PMM

aurobind

Nov 23, 2008
Hi,
The visa is valid for 6 months form the date of entry. Then when you exit they do not mark any exit stamp to verify if you stayed for 6 months or not.
So it is purely for you to decide to stay one day or 180 days.

thriviazy

Jan 9, 2009
thanks ppl.. i'm just worried that i had overstayed.. anyway, i know for extensions, we need have to send the application by mail. just wondering, whether there's any offices that we can walk in to to do the extensions? and the payment, is there any other way that we can do without using paypal and getting the original receipt?

i'm confuse with some of the system.. thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thriviazy said:
thanks ppl.. i'm just worried that i had overstayed.. anyway, i know for extensions, we need have to send the application by mail. just wondering, whether there's any offices that we can walk in to to do the extensions? and the payment, is there any other way that we can do without using paypal and getting the original receipt?

i'm confuse with some of the system.. thanks
You really should read the instructions you know. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visitor.asp
No there are no offices you can walk into, you have to apply via mail to Vegreville, you can try a border office, but is quite likely they will tell you to mail your extension.
CIC does not use pay pal

PMM