+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused traveller seeks advice!

Nov 6, 2013
Hi everyone,

I'm a UK Citizen, flying out to Vancouver in January. I am staying with family friends in Abbotsford, and plan to travel around Canada. I am also planning to apply for a visa but UK applications for 2014 don't go on sale until February so I am not sure when I'll be returning. I have a one way ticket and am getting really nervous about passport control.

Has anyone else entered Canada without a visa and without a return ticket, and if so, what questions were you asked and did you face any difficulty?

I'm sure I'm being paranoid but I'm just really scared I'm going to be refused entry into the country!

Leadfoot99

Jun 27, 2013
You should be ok as long as your truthful on your intentions. They will probably want to know where your staying what your plans are. If you have enough money will probably be a main one! Make sure you just say your visiting! Saying your helping, cleaning, volunteering, working is a big no no and will probably get you sent back!! hope this helps!

Nov 6, 2013
All of that was SO helpful, thank you so much! The people I'm staying with suggested I tell them I have applied for a visa and if it's granted I will look for work. Do you think that sounds like an okay idea, or should I just omit that information? I'm just having horrible images of travelling all that way and being sent home.

scrls5

Mar 20, 2013
Keep in mind that you have to be 100% honest, so be open and if questioned (notice the IF): answer the truth and nothing else.

I'd suggest bringing documentation to show your ties in the UK so if they want to verify it: you are prepared. You could even say to the officer that you thought ahead and brought the documentation with you because you wanted to be open and honest about everything, trust me that will help you.

They just want to make sure you are not going to stay over your allowed time and that you will not breach any conditions of your tourist status (mainly doing any kind of work), so providing some proof about your job, or being enrolled in school should be strong documentation.

I would definitely would NOT mention anything about applying for a work visa, because that could arise doubts about your true intentions to enter Canada. Proof of funds will be a sure question, so make sure you have enough funds to cover your stay and if you will receive any funds from your Canadian friends: they might want to corroborate that (maybe by calling them at the moment).

Don't worry too much, as long as you don't hide anything and don't say more than what you are asked: you should be OK.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

scrls5 said:
Keep in mind that you have to be 100% honest, so be open and if questioned (notice the IF): answer the truth and nothing else.

I'd suggest bringing documentation to show your ties in the UK so if they want to verify it: you are prepared. You could even say to the officer that you thought ahead and brought the documentation with you because you wanted to be open and honest about everything, trust me that will help you.

They just want to make sure you are not going to stay over your allowed time and that you will not breach any conditions of your tourist status (mainly doing any kind of work), so providing some proof about your job, or being enrolled in school should be strong documentation.

I would definitely would NOT mention anything about applying for a work visa, because that could arise doubts about your true intentions to enter Canada. Proof of funds will be a sure question, so make sure you have enough funds to cover your stay and if you will receive any funds from your Canadian friends: they might want to corroborate that (maybe by calling them at the moment).

Don't worry too much, as long as you don't hide anything and don't say more than what you are asked: you should be OK.
Depending on the amount of money the OP is carrying, he may have trouble with the one way ticket. Especially if he can't show sufficient funds to travel and then purchase a ticket. He better check with the airline to see if they will allow him to board with a one-way, with no status in Canada, they may refuse, as they would be responsible for his removal costs if he is refused entry.

Nov 6, 2013
Thanks so much for all your advice, it's really helpful and has put my mind at ease. I noticed on the customs website, they have an example of the Declaration Card you have to fill out before arriving, and on it you have to put the 'length of stay' down in days. Since i am unsure on how many days I'll be staying, does anyone know what I should put there, when the time comes? Should I just put down 6 months (in days, obviously) and assume that's what I'll be doing?

Also, regarding funds, that shouldn't be an issue, as I have a lot of money saved up, and will be getting more before the time comes. Also, my parents are going to buy my return ticket for me, but i'm not sure if i can say that to customs..

scrls5

Mar 20, 2013
asadlittlepanda said:
Thanks so much for all your advice, it's really helpful and has put my mind at ease. I noticed on the customs website, they have an example of the Declaration Card you have to fill out before arriving, and on it you have to put the 'length of stay' down in days. Since i am unsure on how many days I'll be staying, does anyone know what I should put there, when the time comes? Should I just put down 6 months (in days, obviously) and assume that's what I'll be doing?

Also, regarding funds, that shouldn't be an issue, as I have a lot of money saved up, and will be getting more before the time comes. Also, my parents are going to buy my return ticket for me, but i'm not sure if i can say that to customs..
Chilll, yes, you could tell the officer that you intend to stay a little bit over 5 months but you don't have a return ticket yet (this is where your proof of ties to the UK will come in handy).
If your parents are going to buy your ticket then you can say that, no problem! its the truth! however it would be preferable to show that you can purchase your ticket as well (in case lets say your parents cant for any reason).

I arrived in 2011 for a ~6 month stay (study) and didnt had a return ticket, I explained that I was not sure about the exact days when my school semester would end and would buy a ticket as soon as I knew: I had no problem with that.

Don't worry: I also get super stressed and suuper paranoid even though I travel internationally pretty much every 45days (not only to canada though, even though I would love to be there more often)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
PMM said:
Hi

Depending on the amount of money the OP is carrying, he may have trouble with the one way ticket. Especially if he can't show sufficient funds to travel and then purchase a ticket. He better check with the airline to see if they will allow him to board with a one-way, with no status in Canada, they may refuse, as they would be responsible for his removal costs if he is refused entry.
I second this. Definitely check with the airline. They will sometimes refuse boarding to individuals with one way tickets.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
asadlittlepanda said:
I'm going to head up to the travel agency next week and ask for some advice, thanks everyone!
I would call the airline rather than confirming with the travel agency. Better to get the answer directly from the source.

SHAH78

Nov 8, 2013
asadlittlepanda said:
Hi everyone,

I'm a UK Citizen, flying out to Vancouver in January. I am staying with family friends in Abbotsford, and plan to travel around Canada. I am also planning to apply for a visa but UK applications for 2014 don't go on sale until February so I am not sure when I'll be returning. I have a one way ticket and am getting really nervous about passport control.

Has anyone else entered Canada without a visa and without a return ticket, and if so, what questions were you asked and did you face any difficulty?

I'm sure I'm being paranoid but I'm just really scared I'm going to be refused entry into the country!
In my view, when you are a visitor. One of the primary questions that you will be asked are your reason to visit, followed by your time in Canada. If you are able to arrange your deprature travel before you have boarded for Canada. This will void your concerns. Otherwise, its better to be honest and prepare to answer some additional questions. Just in case !!!!

Nov 6, 2013
SHAH78 said:
. Otherwise, its better to be honest and prepare to answer some additional questions. Just in case !!!!
I'm gonna phone the airline, and ask if I'll be permitted to board. I think as long as they allow me to, I'm prepared to answer all the questions they may have with honest answers. I'll also have my family friends waiting for me at the airport, so if I get into difficulties perhaps the officer will speak to them. Changing my flight is looking to be a pricey endeavour so i'd rather avoid it if at all possible.

Does anyone know, if they do have an issue with my one-way ticket, and are unwilling to let me enter the country, if they would allow me to purchase my return ticket there and then?