+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about spousal sponsorship, please help

cloud7

Jan 28, 2013
Hi everyone

I have been living in the UAE for the past 30 years, got my PR last year, was in Ottawa for a brief landing and then back to Dubai . Now I will be marrying very soon , probably by mid of this year , spouse will be in India. Before we tie the knot, we want to make sure about the spousal sponsorship process.

I have been reading the blog and have a few questions ?

1. Can I apply for my spouse's PR while still in UAE ? Is that possible , as I read somewhere about abudhabi sponsorship or is that for those who are living here ?

2. What is the average processing time ? I don't want to stay away for a long time and get entangled in this sponsorship process?

3. If I can sponsor only when I am in Canada, then what kind of income do I need to show , for eg : does the income from part time jobs sufficient to convince visa officers? I mean after marrying even if I fly to canada immediately to secure a job, the probability of me getting a full time job is little as I understand that I have to volunteer first and I don't have any Canadian experience. Also how to show the flow of income? Is it through bank statements and is there a minimum number of statements like 6 months to show before you can apply for sponsorship?

4. What about travelling to visit spouse in India while the PR application is in process ? How many days of vacation can I take and is it a problem to travel ?

These are a couple of questions on my mind, the answers to which will decide whether I should choose a partner in India or not as I don't want to complicate the process of marriage if it's a long , uncertain wait period.

Your advise is much appreciated !

Thank you

Cloud7

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey, and welcome to the forum!

1 - since you are a PR, you HAVE to be present in Canada to be able to sponsor your spouse. So... get married, gather all the proofs, fill out the forms with your spouse, move back to Canada, and send the application. During the application time, you can go and visit your spouse for short period (2 weeks for example), but you have to be in Canada.

2 - the VO (visa office) processing your visa depends on the residence of the applicant ( your wife), not yours. So you will go through New Delhi, which is currently listed as 10 months. See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp
on top of that, you have to add the first stage approval ( currently 21 days).

3 - there is no minimum income to sponsor a spouse, but you need to show CIC that you have a plan to support your spouse. So if you will get free accommodation with family, get a letter from them. If you have savings already for the first few months, then show that. If you know what type of jobs you can get, then explain that. make a detailed plan. As a PR you have to be living in Canada, so you should have already a plan for yourself, establish "home" somewhere, go to India to marry, fill out the forms together with your spouse, and then upon return to Canada, send the forms. There is no minimum time in Canada to be able to sponsor, as long as your PR requirements are met.

4 - see previous point: you should be in Canada. There is no specific "amount of days", but 2 weeks is generally accepted.

Before you decide to marry and sponsor, read the guideline, so you're familiar with what type of proofs CIC will require from you to prove that your marriage is genuine, and you can better prepare yourself.

Good luck,
Sweden

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
cloud7 said:
Hi everyone

I have been living in the UAE for the past 30 years, got my PR last year, was in Ottawa for a brief landing and then back to Dubai . Now I will be marrying very soon , probably by mid of this year , spouse will be in India. Before we tie the knot, we want to make sure about the spousal sponsorship process.

I have been reading the blog and have a few questions ?

1. Can I apply for my spouse's PR while still in UAE ? Is that possible , as I read somewhere about abudhabi sponsorship or is that for those who are living here ?

NO its not possible.Only Citizens are allowed to stay with there spouse during the PR application.PR should be within Canada till the completion of spouse PR.PR can take short trips like 2-3 weeks once in 6-8 months to visit spouse.Abu Dhabi Officer serves Middle East Applications...

2. What is the average processing time ? I don't want to stay away for a long time and get entangled in this sponsorship process?

INDIA :

Stage 1 = 21 days as of today
Stage 2 = 10 months

See the links below for time frames...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm/fc-spouses.asp

3. If I can sponsor only when I am in Canada, then what kind of income do I need to show , for eg : does the income from part time jobs sufficient to convince visa officers? I mean after marrying even if I fly to canada immediately to secure a job, the probability of me getting a full time job is little as I understand that I have to volunteer first and I don't have any Canadian experience. Also how to show the flow of income? Is it through bank statements and is there a minimum number of statements like 6 months to show before you can apply for sponsorship?

There is NO minimum income requirements for Spouse sponsorship.You have to show proofs that you wont be burden on the government.You can submit your savings bank account details,your spouse bank details if she has etc etc...

4. What about travelling to visit spouse in India while the PR application is in process ? How many days of vacation can I take and is it a problem to travel ?

Short trips of about 2-3 weeks within 6-8 months are ok and not longer than this

These are a couple of questions on my mind, the answers to which will decide whether I should choose a partner in India or not as I don't want to complicate the process of marriage if it's a long , uncertain wait period.

Your advise is much appreciated !

Thank you

Cloud7

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. No. You should file sponsorship application inside Canada to the Case Processing enter, Mississauga. You should prove you are present in Canada.

2. Total about One year approximate to get a family class visa.

3. No matter what sort of income you earn. For spouse sponsoring, the sponsor does not show a Low Income Cut-off (LICO).

4. You can travel and visit your spouse in India or any where for a reasonable periods. No restriction by CIC. There is possibility that the visa processing office may verify your presence in Canada before making a final decision to issue visa for her. They ensure youre presence in Canada before issueing visa for her.

According to your note, if you want to overcome all the impedements, you may think about marrying a girl in Canada, preferably a Canadian citizen or a PR