+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused About Immigration. Any Help Appreciated!

skinnnyk

Sep 18, 2010
I'm in a pretty serious relationship with my girlfriend from the United States. She is looking to move here with me. Is there a way to become a dual-citizen of the US and Canada? Would the best option be for her to get a study visa? She does want to go to school here as well. I've been reviewing the policies and requirements about her moving here but I cannot wrap my head around them very well. I live in Ontario. What is the process of Naturalization? Would that be an option? Could she just move here for a year and I sponsor her under common-law? As you can tell I am very confused :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she wants to study, she needs to be accepted to a college, apply for a study visa and show that she can pay her tuition and support herself for the first year. She will be paying international student college fees so probably about 3 times more than you would pay for the same courses.

She can not officially move to Canada without getting some sort of visa but she can visit you. If she visits you, she can not work, she can stay for up to 6 months. Once she's almost at 6 months, you can apply for a visit status extension based on "exploring relationship" or something like that. You need to show that you can support her financially if she can not show that she can support herself. After another 6 months, apply for another visit status extension based on applying for PR and at the same time, apply for PR. She can not get citizenship right away. She needs to get PR first.

You need to prepare a bit ahead of time to apply for her PR. She will need police certificates and a medical. Don't get them too early though, the police certificates can not be more than 3 months old when you apply. You should also start right away documenting your relationship, keeping emails, chat logs, phone records, collecting photos and when she comes to you, document that she is living with you by getting things in her name sent to your address and preferably adding her name on your lease and utility bills. This will be useful when you apply for her PR.