+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Confused about if I am "a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada?" (form IMM1344)

ELD1234

Apr 22, 2020
Hi guys,

I saw a couple of threads on this topic. However, I'm still a little bit confused by my situation, since it does not correspond to any other situations that I saw.

I am a Canadian citizen, and I'm sponsoring my wife for PR. I am currently in Canada, where I am working for the summer. I arrived here in May, after living 15 months with my wife in Colombia on a visitor visa. I'm planning on going back to Colombia at the end of August, up until the month of May of 2022. This time, I will be on a colombian resident visa. I'm planning to do a similar pattern until my wife get her PR approved. At that moment, we want to live permanently in Canada.

Also, note that I am still going to be in Canada when we are going to send the application.

I would answer the 3 following questions the following way:

In IMM1344:

Are you a Canadian citizen living exclusively outside Canada? No

Do you reside in Canada and in no other country? No

In IMM5532:

Do you live in Canada now? Yes

I would also add explanation on my current situation (that I am working a few months a year in Canada and live in Colombia the rest of the year, until my wife gets her PR accepted), and send a plan for our permanent transfer to Canada when my wife's PR will be accepted.

Would it be a correct approach?

Thank you!!

Jun 27, 2021
Hi guys,

I saw a couple of threads on this topic. However, I'm still a little bit confused by my situation, since it does not correspond to any other situations that I saw.

I am a Canadian citizen, and I'm sponsoring my wife for PR. I am currently in Canada, where I am working for the summer. I arrived here in May, after living 15 months with my wife in Colombia on a visitor visa. I'm planning on going back to Colombia at the end of August, up until the month of May of 2022. This time, I will be on a colombian resident visa. I'm planning to do a similar pattern until my wife get her PR approved. At that moment, we want to live permanently in Canada.

Also, note that I am still going to be in Canada when we are going to send the application.

In IMM1344:

In IMM5532:

I would also add explanation on my current situation (that I am working a few months a year in Canada and live in Colombia the rest of the year, until my wife gets her PR accepted), and send a plan for our permanent transfer to Canada when my wife's PR will be accepted.

Thank you!!
yes, and it is better to explain that you will return to Canada once your Spouse gets a PR. To make your application strong it’s better if you show any of kind of property you have purchased or have planned to rent in future, proof of any assets you purchased in Canada or Resumes you have sent to the potential employers to work at once u return back . It’s always better to keep your visit short even if you are a Canadian citizen .

hope this will help .

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi guys,

In IMM1344:

In IMM5532:

Thank you!!
IMO you are living outside Canada but returning for work for a short part of the year so it's a hard Q to answer. Whatever you decide to answer to the Q's make sure you provide a detailed letter of explanation of the situation and your plan to return to CDA permanently once the PR is approved.. They might consider how much time you are out of the country in a year to decide your status.