+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Concerning gift deeds

May 13, 2023
Hi, everyone! I'm gathering the documents for my application and the last one I need is the proof of funds from the bank. To help me with that requirement, both my parents and my sibling have transferred money into my account and I'm aware that I need a gift deed to prove that these are gifts and not loans. However, the issue I keep running into is that the gift deed should be notarized. This should not be a problem for my sibling, as he is also in Canada. However, my parents are in Brazil and, from my research, the closest thing Brazil has to a gift deed is called "escritura de doação", which looks like a much more bureaucratic and formal document and it also requires the signature of the person receiving the donation (which is obviously impossible with me being in Canada). I was just curious to see if anyone has ever been in a similar situation? I heard some people talk about self declarations, but I'm super worried that it won't be enough and it will raise red flags in my application if one of my gift deeds is not notarized. Any ideas on how to proceed?