+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Complicated case in University: RTW

Oct 27, 2017
Surrey
Category........
Hi fellow-mates, my case is a bit complicated. My program is Computer Information System (Diploma) I will really appreciate if anyone can give me serious advice rather than criticism. Following are my semester results:-

Sept 2016- (AW)
Statistics- F
Business- D
Logic- F

Jan 2017- (AP)
Intro Comp- F
System Analysis- C
Web Application- F

May 2017- (RTW)
Statistics- F
Computer Literacy- A
University Writing- C+(was F, grade-appealed and got C+)
Earth Science- D

Overall CGPA- 1.43

I was too late to get into September 2018 so I had to drop this semester and got admitted into Alexander College for Jan 2019 intake. Obviously I dropped working too for this semester. I just have academic poor performance. Other than that I've good records, never worked > than 20h or anything else. But now the problem is that my program is not available in Alexander College which means if I plan to stay there then I need to change my major. Earlier my plans were as I am required to withdraw for two semesters from the university so I am allowed to come back in May 2018, so I had planned to go back in May. But, I've heard that VO looks for good academic standing while extending the visa and obviously I cannot turn my academic standing as good in one semester. At this moment I am not even thinking about PGWP. I am just thinking about my visa extension.

So, my questions are-

1) My visa expires in Nov 2018.
a) Do you see any trouble in extending my study permit? I do, however I've heard that if you're registered for the next semester, show enough funds and are in good academic standing then cic doesn't reject study permit extension.
b) Is it a good option to go back to my university and just do one semester in Alexander College by taking any 3-4 courses for this semester or stay in Alexander college? (obviously CGPA of university wont count in that case and I can try hard to gain and maintain good academic standing and same for university- Alexander College's CGPA wont count-- told by my university advisor)
c) Also, as failed courses do not transfer, does it show that I was a part time student for the first two semesters ifI plan to stay in university?
d) In addition, if I go to Alexander college and transfer back to university, does my CGPA scored in Jan 2019 intake (in Alexander College) count when I go back to university? I have heard from my university-advisor that it doesn't.

2) If I go to Alexander College, do I need to notify cic about that? I see Alexander College as more trouble as this moment as I have to change college and my major, both.

3) I am wondering if someone has gone through something similar to my situation. Also, I do have medical notes describing my medical condition. I just want to know if there's any education/immigration lawyer or an immigration consultant who can help me or guide me through this. However, I have went to see immigration consultants and they just don't know anything.
So, can anyone suggest me some really good lawyer or consultant for my case?

Again guys, your advice will be really appreciated!! I know I am in some real trouble.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think your first issue is that your study permit is going to be automatically canceled once you're out of school for more than 90 days. So you're going to have to apply for a new study permit to study again in January.

Last edited:

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
I think your first issue is that your study permit is going to be automatically canceled once you're out of school for more than 90 days. So you're going to have to apply for a new work permit to study again in January.
@scylla I need your help. My younger sister came to Canada in September 2017. This is her first semester - she is currently enrolled in Masters in Computer and Electrical engineering at University of Waterloo. She is a bright kid and does put her 100% in her studies, had a really good GPA in bachelors but now she is all shattered. Everyday she calls me and starts crying, she is finding her course very hard, So far I have told her to hold tight and she will get through this.

I cannot see her in depression and before I give her any false details I want to make sure about 2 things and need to help/views on this:

1. Can she change her institute. Also can she pick a under/post grad program something in Business which is 2 year term. If Yes can it effect her PGWP application in future?

2. If Yes, does she have to inform CIC about changing the course and institute.

Oct 27, 2017
Surrey
Category........
I think your first issue is that your study permit is going to be automatically canceled once you're out of school for more than 90 days. So you're going to have to apply for a new study permit to study again in January.
Hi thanks for your reply. But I don't think so because this is considered as a semester-off. I am not on suspension, I am on required to withdraw. And I am already enrolled for January into Alexander College.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi thanks for your reply. But I don't think so because this is considered as a semester-off. I am not on suspension, I am on required to withdraw. And I am already enrolled for January into Alexander College.
So this is a scheduled break in your program? One that all other students are taking as well?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I cannot see her in depression and before I give her any false details I want to make sure about 2 things and need to help/views on this:

1. Can she change her institute. Also can she pick a under/post grad program something in Business which is 2 year term. If Yes can it effect her PGWP application in future?

2. If Yes, does she have to inform CIC about changing the course and institute.
1. She can certainly change her program and school. Make sure she doesn't work between the time she stops attending her current program to the time she starts attending her new program. Working between programs is illegal and could result in a PGWP refusal (we've seen several of these cases here lately). Once she switches to her new program, she must ensure she remains in school as a full time student. Provided she does that, a PGWP should not be a problem.

2. She needs to notify CIC if she changes schools. Details on how to do this are on the CIC web site.[/user]

Navprateek

Dec 29, 2015
1. She can certainly change her program and school. Make sure she doesn't work between the time she stops attending her current program to the time she starts attending her new program. Working between programs is illegal and could result in a PGWP refusal (we've seen several of these cases here lately). Once she switches to her new program, she must ensure she remains in school as a full time student. Provided she does that, a PGWP should not be a problem.

2. She needs to notify CIC if she changes schools. Details on how to do this are on the CIC web site.[/user]
Thank-you for you response. She will not be working at all during her studies not even part time. Our parents didn't let me work either when i was in my college, so I can concentrate only on my program and same applies to her.

Just to clarify she will be switching from a master degree to a post secondary diploma and will not be taking any unofficial drops. We will update the DLI number with cic. She should be fine for PGWP, right?

Oct 27, 2017
Surrey
Category........
No this is n
So this is a scheduled break in your program? One that all other students are taking as well?
No this is not a scheduled break. I have inquired from cic, they said student permit doesn't expire before its expiry date. However taking a semester off might affect my pgwp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No this is not a scheduled break. I have inquired from cic, they said student permit doesn't expire before its expiry date. However taking a semester off might affect my pgwp
CIC call center gives out incorrect answers regularly. Don't rely on them for advice.

Study permits can absolutely be canceled before the expiry date.

Oct 27, 2017
Surrey
Category........
CIC call center gives out incorrect answers regularly. Don't rely on them for advice.

Study permits can absolutely be canceled before the expiry date.
But how can my study permit be cancelled when I am already registered and enrolled for the next semester??!

Oct 27, 2017
Surrey
Category........
Can you please cite the source of this information that study permit expires if you're out of school for > than 90 days?
I am sure that this information should be mentioned on cic website. I looked through the website but did not find anything stating so.