+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commuter green card eligibility

mastersboy

Star Member
Oct 20, 2014

Does anyone here know how often one is required to travel to the job in US on a minimum to keep the commuter green card status?

I have a full time job offer in US asking me to travel up to 40% to the US. Do I qualify for a commuter green card?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
According to the USCIS's description of an alien commuter, you are expected to commute at least twice a week to the US for work (as a standard commuter), or be in the US for less than six months for your job (as a seasonal commuter). However, there are a lot of restrictions to your PR status, like not being able to sponsor family members or use this status to count towards the residency requirement for citizenship. Also, if after your US job has ended that you can't secure further employment in the US, this status will be terminated. I think this is for current US PRs so that they won't lose their status because of the residency requirement by living outside of the US. If you're not planning to live in the US as a PR or apply for US citizenship after your job ends, I don't really see a point in getting this.