+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law visa question

Feb 20, 2020
Hi everyone, new here! I had a read in the spousal/common law thread stickied at the top and it cleared up a lot. Wondering for common law visa though, is it 12 months living together or 12 consecutive months living together? I am Canadian and my girlfriend is Polish. We have not lived 12 consecutive months with each other but have lived in 3 addresses and also backpacked together for 12 months in total (not including the gaps apart when her visa expired in between). So they were not consecutive but they were 12. Would this count? I am trying to figure out my best route to get her over here as she has already used her open work visa. Thanks for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi everyone, new here! I had a read in the spousal/common law thread stickied at the top and it cleared up a lot. Wondering for common law visa though, is it 12 months living together or 12 consecutive months living together? I am Canadian and my girlfriend is Polish. We have not lived 12 consecutive months with each other but have lived in 3 addresses and also backpacked together for 12 months in total (not including the gaps apart when her visa expired in between). So they were not consecutive but they were 12. Would this count? I am trying to figure out my best route to get her over here as she has already used her open work visa. Thanks for your help!
Already answered, don't double post.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spousal-sponsorship.46995/page-2313#post-8597225

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Must be consecutive.

OverIt

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
How many times did she have to leave due to her visa expiring? It depends on the amount of time you guys spent apart. A month is too much. One or two weeks might be ok.