+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Through Visitor Visa

helpingmybf

Aug 2, 2020
My bf is currently in Canada on a working holiday visa that ends in January of 2021. His home country is Ireland. When his visa ends we will have been living together for approx. 5-6 months. My question is, could he apply for a visitor visa in the last few weeks before his IEC expires? If he is granted a visitor visa could he reside with me an additional 6 months (I know he wouldn't be able to work during that time)? We are trying to get to that one year mark of residing together so that I am able to sponsor him through common-law sponsorship. Feeling quite defeated today would love some advice. Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My bf is currently in Canada on a working holiday visa that ends in January of 2021. His home country is Ireland. When his visa ends we will have been living together for approx. 5-6 months. My question is, could he apply for a visitor visa in the last few weeks before his IEC expires? If he is granted a visitor visa could he reside with me an additional 6 months (I know he wouldn't be able to work during that time)? We are trying to get to that one year mark of residing together so that I am able to sponsor him through common-law sponsorship. Feeling quite defeated today would love some advice. Thanks in advance.
Yes he change to visitor status before his IEC expires. Would make sure you are gathering proof that you are living together. It is important to collect info from the start of your common law period and then have proof throughout the 1 year. Given the backlog on spousal sponsorship your boyfriend may not be able to work for a very long time.

helpingmybf

Aug 2, 2020
Thank you!
Yes he change to visitor status before his IEC expires. Would make sure you are gathering proof that you are living together. It is important to collect info from the start of your common law period and then have proof throughout the 1 year. Given the backlog on spousal sponsorship your boyfriend may not be able to work for a very long time.
Do you know if visitor status is being granted from inside Canada? I know things are all back-logged due to the pandemic. And I'm guessing if we got married before his IEC visa expires it wouldn't help. thnx

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you!

Do you know if visitor status is being granted from inside Canada? I know things are all back-logged due to the pandemic. And I'm guessing if we got married before his IEC visa expires it wouldn't help. thnx
Yes he can change his status to visitor status from within Canada. It can be done online. It must be done before his work permit expires.