+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Spouse/Multiple Entry Visitor Visa: Help needed!

ChihiroSen

Sep 16, 2015
Never thought that a visa process could become so complicated and with very little information for someone in a situation like me, I'm turning to this forum to get as much insight/information as possible. So, if anyone has any advice/tips/information, please do reply!

Here's my current scenario:
I am a Malaysian citizen who resided in Australia for the past decade (on many different visas), with the last being a dependent on my partner's Temporary Business Long-Stay visa. His contract expired earlier than expected this year, so as a Canadian citizen, he decided to move back with me. We arrived at the end of April into Canada. To gain entry into this country, I had to apply for a multiple entry visitor visa which allows a stay of up to 6 months.

We decided to submit the application for the Spouse Sponsorship In-Land since I've technically "moved here". I submitted my application recently at the end of August 2015, and there's obviously no news/feedback from them yet. The end of my 6-months duration is next month and will have to leave prior to 23OCT15, and if I haven't received a response from them, am I allowed to:

(a) exit Canada to America (for example), for a few days and come back in with the existing tourist visa? There is no info on whether I can depart for a few days and come back in.
(b) remain in Canada?

Many thanks in advance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you submitted the Open Work Permit app with your PR app, then you don't need to do anything and can remain in Canada.

If you didn't submit the OWP app:

(a) Don't leave Canada. With an inland app, if you are refused entry back into Canada, your app is essentially cancelled and you have little chance of being allowed back in anytime soon. Apply online to extend your visitor status.

(b) No, you cannot simply remain in Canada. After your current visitor status expires, you would be in Canada illegally.

Submit an OWP app ASAP. You should also apply to extend your visitor status in the next few weeks to cover your bases.

ChihiroSen

Sep 16, 2015
Hi Canuck!

Thanks for the reply >_< Guess I'll just have to apply for the extension. Do you know how long you get if they approve it?

Cheers.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Apply for the OWP as well and you will have it long before the visitor extension would expire. The OWP will be valid for 1-2 years.