+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Sponsorship of someone on IEC work permit

Joel19891

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Hi guys,

I'm asking on behalf of my cousin who is a Canadian citizen. Her boyfriend (from Australia) has lived and worked in Canada for around 1.5 years now on an IEC work permit which is expiring I believe around Sept/Oct time. So more than likely, the PR won't be approved in time before his IEC permit expires.

Can he also apply for a bridging permit / normal open work permit along with the PR application and be given implied status should neither PR or another work permit be approved by the time his IEC expires? They're trying to avoid any situation where he either has to stop working temporarily, move back to Australia temporarily etc etc.

Thanks!

bian07

May 19, 2017
He can apply for an open work permit when they send in the sponsorship application if they apply before his current work permit expires. The work permit application +its own supporting documents should be sent in the same envelope as the sponsorship application.

He should also apply for a visitor extension though, about 30 days or so before his current permit expires just in case the sponsorship+ work permit application get returned, because he would lose any status if that happens.

Joel19891

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Thank you! So implied status doesn't come into play at all through this route?

E.g if neither the PR or work permit sent together get approved before his IEC permit expires, there'd be no implied status and the only fall back (to maintain some sort of valid status here) is a visitor status?

Only reason I ask is because when I did my PR through express entry a few years back, I applied for the Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) as well and that permit provided implied status in the event that my BOWP didn't get approved by the time my IEC expired.

Thanks again!

bian07

May 19, 2017
He would have implied, or now its called maintained status, while he waits on the decision on the new work permit and visitor extension, after his initial work permit expired.

Joel19891

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Awesome, didn't realize the terminology changed :p

So visitor visa should also be applied for along side the PR & work permit? Is that just incase the work permit/PR is not approved?

bian07

May 19, 2017
Yeah it was actually just recently that they changed it

I'd say just apply for it a month or so before the initial permit expires. Its more in case the pr & work permit gets returned for missing documents, because in that case you'd lose all status if you don't apply for the extension & would have to apply for restoration of status. Losing status would also take the eligibility for the work permit & you'd have to wait until you get approved in principle to apply for one, which comes at the end of the whole pr process.