+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law separation inquiry..

Bazi

Jun 18, 2016
I was separated from common law partner of 3 years. We have a Canadian born child. I filled out common law separation form and have it notarized. My status when I applied for PR is separated.
My question is:
We agreed to reconcile After 6 months of separation. I'm planning to sponsor him as permanent resident. How do I sponsor him since my status is still separated? Can we still be common law partner again? Please advise.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Bazi said:
I was separated from common law partner of 3 years. We have a Canadian born child. I filled out common law separation form and have it notarized. My status when I applied for PR is separated.
My question is:
We agreed to reconcile After 6 months of separation. I'm planning to sponsor him as permanent resident. How do I sponsor him since my status is still separated? Can we still be common law partner again? Please advise.
If you were truly separated at the time you got your own PR, then it would not be breaking any rules although CIC will look much closer at the application that no misrepresentation was committed.

To sponsor him now you will need to establish a new common-law status so live together for a new 12 months continuously, or get married.