+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law partner question

cb0u5t

Nov 25, 2009
Hi,

I have recently been offered a post doc position in Canada for 2 years, I am German and currently live with my boyfriend in the UK. My boyfriend (UK citizen) of more than 2 years wants to accompany me for the 2 years. We have lived together for approx 6 months so don't believe we would be classified as common law partners. Does anyone know if the Canadian authorities are flexible on the 1 year co-habitation rule? We do not intend to immigrate or anything because we plan to return to the UK after the 2 years... Any advise?
Thanks in advance
Sig

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cb0u5t said:
Hi,

I have recently been offered a post doc position in Canada for 2 years, I am German and currently live with my boyfriend in the UK. My boyfriend (UK citizen) of more than 2 years wants to accompany me for the 2 years. We have lived together for approx 6 months so don't believe we would be classified as common law partners. Does anyone know if the Canadian authorities are flexible on the 1 year co-habitation rule? We do not intend to immigrate or anything because we plan to return to the UK after the 2 years... Any advise?
Thanks in advance
Sig
Not flexible, require 1 year of a marriage like relationship to be considered Common/law.

PMM