+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COMMON LAW: no rental agreement but other proof - enough?

cyc.0523

Feb 10, 2021
Hi, my boyfriend and I can gather the following documentation in order to demonstrate a common-law relationship of at least 12 months:

- Same address in the document
- Utility bills showing the same address
- Certificate of common law partnership issued by the civil registration of our country (Argentina)
- Shared bank account
- Photographs, screenshot of chat conversations, etc.

However, there would be no rental agreement as this would be my parents´ house address (which we don´t rent nor own). Are these papers enough to proof a common law relationship? Does the relationship sound "credible" by providing the above evidence even though there is not a rental agreement in place?

Many thanks in advance!!!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, my boyfriend and I can gather the following documentation in order to demonstrate a common-law relationship of at least 12 months:

- Same address in the document
- Utility bills showing the same address
- Certificate of common law partnership issued by the civil registration of our country (Argentina)
- Shared bank account
- Photographs, screenshot of chat conversations, etc.

However, there would be no rental agreement as this would be my parents´ house address (which we don´t rent nor own). Are these papers enough to proof a common law relationship? Does the relationship sound "credible" by providing the above evidence even though there is not a rental agreement in place?

Many thanks in advance!!!!
How many different types of utility bills. Will the bills show the date from the beginning of your common law period and throughout the year? Did you receive any deliveries throughout the 1 year period at that address? That could be added as additional proof.

cyc.0523

Feb 10, 2021
How many different types of utility bills. Will the bills show the date from the beginning of your common law period and throughout the year? Did you receive any deliveries throughout the 1 year period at that address? That could be added as additional proof.
Yes, the bills would show the date from the beginning of your common law period and throughout the year. I think we would have at least 2 bills (one with my name and the other one with my boyfriend´s name).

What do you mean by deliveries? Like food deliveries, for example?