+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Applying for open work permit and visitor's visa for our child

willow13

Mar 27, 2014
Hello,

I hope that somebody will be able to help me out.

My common law partner currently has a wok permit. He is planning to study in Canada in his spare time and will be getting Study permit in CIC. My brother-in-law was able to do so and got his study permit which expires at the same time as his Work visa and permit.
My partner wants me and our 1 year old son to go to Canada. He said that we can apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit for me and visitor’s visa for our son. My questions are:

1. Can he really apply for a study permit inside Canada? If so, can he apply for an SOWP for me and Visitor’s visa for our son at the same time that he will apply his study permit?
2. Or should I apply the SOWP here in the Philippines and the visitor’s permit?
3. What are the documents that we need in order to make sure that we get our visas and permits approved aside from the mandatory documentation?
I made a short list:

a. My partner’s study permit
b. Bank account statement (How much money should we have?)
c. My sisters are also in Canada and one of them is a PR. We will be staying in her house and she will help us with the expenses. Should we have her write a letter of explanation?
d. How do we go about with my son’s visitor’s permit? What would be the pertinent documents that we should in order to make sure that he can go with us. I really do not want to leave him here.
c. Documents to establish our Common-Law relationship

Thank you very much!