+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Application, would we be eligible.

yakman23

May 17, 2015
Hi There,

We're in the process of applying for common law, I am wondering if my partner and I should apply now or wait a little while and put more effort into joint bills etc.

We've known eachother 5 years, have been dating for 3 in a serious relationship. 1.5 of those years was LD with multiple visits, we have since moved in together where I am on an IEC Visa.
Lived in the same house in Canada for a year and a half, with partner's mum because the rent is reasonable and partner is in school. (all manor of documents to prove a shared address)
Traveled to various countries together, have tickets to prove this
Notarized letters from friends and family won't be a problem
We have a join bank account

However, I am wondering if the following things would stop the application from being successful,

No real joint bills - live at parents house. I pay rent at to live there, partner doesn't because she's in school.
Joint bank account has seen fairly limited use, we're increasing this now. We have had the joint account for around 10 months
We have not filed our taxes as spousal, my partner is not listed on my benefits from work, not sure if we should do this until common law app is successful?

Any thoughts,

Thanks!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You probably have enough, but to be sure I would wait the two months until you have had the joint account for a year. It will probably take that long to get the application ready anyway.
You should file your taxes as common-law after one year living together - you should not wait until the PR application is successful.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
yakman23 said:
We've known eachother 5 years, have been dating for 3 in a serious relationship. 1.5 of those years was LD with multiple visits, we have since moved in together where I am on an IEC Visa.

We have not filed our taxes as spousal
From your previous posts, you became common-law in November. You both needed to declare that in your 2015 tax returns. I suggest you both amend your returns to correct this. You will then be able to provide your CRA returns showing you filed as common-law.

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yakman23 said:
Hi There,

We're in the process of applying for common law, I am wondering if my partner and I should apply now or wait a little while and put more effort into joint bills etc.

Lived in the same house in Canada for a year and a half, with partner's mum because the rent is reasonable and partner is in school. (all manor of documents to prove a shared address)
Traveled to various countries together, have tickets to prove this
Notarized letters from friends and family won't be a problem
We have a join bank account

However, I am wondering if the following things would stop the application from being successful,

No real joint bills - live at parents house. I pay rent at to live there, partner doesn't because she's in school.
Joint bank account has seen fairly limited use, we're increasing this now. We have had the joint account for around 10 months
We have not filed our taxes as spousal, my partner is not listed on my benefits from work, not sure if we should do this until common law app is successful?

Any thoughts,

Thanks!
you have plenty if evidence , don't worry about the joint back account's activities or length since you have other solid proofs .
Tax ( T1 General ) return and Statutory declaration of Common law are 2 solid evidence your should consider .