+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coming to Canada on a working holiday visa - question about required documents?

hordway

Mar 2, 2016
Hey all, so I'm coming to Canada on a working holiday visa through the IEC. I am an American who was able to participate through SWAP (as normally these things are closed to Americans) via a "middleman" company called Interexchange. I managed to get my name put in the pool and literally only five days later, my name was pulled and I was given an invitation to apply. Lucky me!

However, I am a bit confused as to some of the documents I need to upload. One is a proof of school registration, which states that, "You must provide a letter from your educational institution that shows that you are currently registered at that institution." The thing is I am not currently registered - I finished being a full-time student a little while ago. I have two more classes I need to take to get my bachelor degree, but I intended to take them online while I was up in Canada. It was my understanding that to be eligible, you needed to at least be a full-time student at the time of application, OR within the last twelve months (this is what applies to me). Is that not the case? If I showed proof of when I was a full-time student, would that count?

Two, it's asking me for proof of means of financial support. It's my understanding the bare minimum you need to enter is $2,500 - my step father has money in savings which he is allowing me to use as the support fund just in case, though I intend to bring my own money with me when I go to the border so I probably won't use it. He gave me the bank summary of the amount in the account, but his name isn't on it - is that a problem? Would I need an actual bank statement that would have things like his name on it? The suggestions call for at least 4 bank statements - is that necessary?

How easily would the CIC decline my application if I only showed them my step father's bank statement, and only one of them? I can show my own bank statements, tax returns, letters of employment, etc as well, but I presently do not have the required $2,500 in my own accounts - I have about half, though I am going to save to get that before I go up there.

I am really afraid I might not be able to supply the correct documentation TO THEIR LIKING and that I might be declined for it. I really don't want to be declined - I've been trying for this visa for a really long time. How easily would they decline for things? What would happened if they declined an application I sent in? :(

EDIT:
I want to throw in there that I had to supply pretty much all these documents (besides the funds) to Interexchange, including the proof of full-time status one. Both Interexchange and SWAP agreed to what I sent them, so I assume they're going based on the CIC's guidelines, but I'm not sure of it.