+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

College in Canada

Heitor98

Nov 15, 2009
My friend is a Portuguese illegal immigrant in the US and cannot attend college here. So since I am a Canadian citizen and I am planning on going to college in Canada, I suggested that she applies to a Canadian college. I don't know if she can apply while being illegal here in the US, not only that but i found out that one of the requirements for applying to college there as an immigrant is to have proof that you are able to pay for college. Her family does not have enough funds to pay for it, but if she works in canada they would have enough money to pay for half... another alternative would be applying there as a worker, but then i believe her application would be denied because she will only be 18, will only have completed high school and will have no work experience except for a part time job for one year...
is there a solution to her problem?
i didn't know if i should post this in the college section or in the worker section since this topic includes both...

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Heitor98 said:
My friend is a Portuguese illegal immigrant in the US and cannot attend college here. So since I am a Canadian citizen and I am planning on going to college in Canada, I suggested that she applies to a Canadian college. I don't know if she can apply while being illegal here in the US, not only that but i found out that one of the requirements for applying to college there as an immigrant is to have proof that you are able to pay for college. Her family does not have enough funds to pay for it, but if she works in canada they would have enough money to pay for half... another alternative would be applying there as a worker, but then i believe her application would be denied because she will only be 18, will only have completed high school and will have no work experience except for a part time job for one year...
is there a solution to her problem?
i didn't know if i should post this in the college section or in the worker section since this topic includes both...
Your friend will not be able to apply for any TRV (visit/study/work) in any of the visa offices in the US because she has no legal status in the US. :(

Heitor98

Nov 15, 2009
well so if she goes to Portugal and applies from there would she still have a chance to go to college in Canada without proof that she can pay for it?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Heitor98 said:
well so if she goes to Portugal and applies from there would she still have a chance to go to college in Canada without proof that she can pay for it?
Not either. She has to show proof that she'll be able to pay for her tuition (which is higher for international students) and her cost of living here without having to work. I think after 6 months as a student she would be able to apply for a work permit in campus.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
Your friend will have no need to leave the US voluntarily to apply for the study permit in Canada.

She will first need to apply to a Canadian Accredited Institution in accordance with the admission standard of the institution. Should the institution admit her application, (typically for international students) she would have to pay for 1 year of tuition up front. Generally the tuition and ancillary fees for 1 year (2 semesters) is between $CAD11000-14000 for international students.

Once tuition is paid the institution will issue a letter of acceptance to her, which she can use to apply for her TRV and Study Permit. She will have to send these applications to Portugal (does not mean she has to go to Portugal to send them).

She must also provide proof of fund for 1 year of living expenses, around $CAD10000-12000.

Once in Canada, she may work on campus without a work permit and she will be eligible to apply for a work permit 6months after her landing date.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
helios said:
Your friend will have no need to leave the US voluntarily to apply for the study permit in Canada.

She will first need to apply to a Canadian Accredited Institution in accordance with the admission standard of the institution. Should the institution admit her application, (typically for international students) she would have to pay for 1 year of tuition up front. Generally the tuition and ancillary fees for 1 year (2 semesters) is between $CAD11000-14000 for international students.

Once tuition is paid the institution will issue a letter of acceptance to her, which she can use to apply for her TRV and Study Permit. She will have to send these applications to Portugal (does not mean she has to go to Portugal to send them).

She must also provide proof of fund for 1 year of living expenses, around $CAD10000-12000.

Once in Canada, she may work on campus without a work permit and she will be eligible to apply for a work permit 6months after her landing date.
But her friend is illegal in the US so she will not be able to apply for the student visa/permit in the US.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/visa_temp.aspx?lang=eng#REQUIREMENTSALL

REQUIREMENTS FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA APPLICANTS WITH TEMPORARY STATUS IN THE US

You must provide proof of lawful temporary status in the United States

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
That is why she can not apply through the US. She must apply through her native country of Portugal. It does not however means that she has to leave the US (unless discovered and consequently deported), it just means that the application must be sent to a different office.