+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CLP visa application

tammy23

Oct 30, 2009
Hi, can I apply for a CLP visa while am still legally married? I don't live with my husband anymore.(Failed marriage but he is not giving me a divorce). And I met a Canadian guy in December 2008 and we fell in love. I travelled to Canada and spent 3 weeks with him and returned home after that. We have decided to live together and I would need a PR to live with him. And I will be upgrading my education while living with him in Canada.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
Hello,
you cannot marry him until you are officially divorced. And until that problem is solved he cannot sponsor you at all. Just try to get divorce to free your life and make your future free and happy.

tammy23

Oct 30, 2009
Oh dear, so its going to be difficult. But we are not marrying yet, just getting a PR through CLP so that we could be together. Will the Canadian Immigration do a check on marital status of the applicant? Has anyone gone through a similar situation? Please help.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
tammy23 said:
Oh dear, so its going to be difficult. But we are not marrying yet, just getting a PR through CLP so that we could be together. Will the Canadian Immigration do a check on marital status of the applicant? Has anyone gone through a similar situation? Please help.
Three weeks with him will certainly not be enough proof to apply as common law.

tammy23

Oct 30, 2009
Yes, I do understand that living with him for 3 weeks is not enough to get me a PR. But I'll be living with him throughout my studies and that will be 14 months. And that will be sufficient time for the minimum requirement of living together besides other supporting documents. But what worries me is that will they reject my CLP application if I am still married. We are not marrying yet at the moment.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
tammy23 said:
Yes, I do understand that living with him for 3 weeks is not enough to get me a PR. But I'll be living with him throughout my studies and that will be 14 months. And that will be sufficient time for the minimum requirement of living together besides other supporting documents. But what worries me is that will they reject my CLP application if I am still married. We are not marrying yet at the moment.
So will you be applying as a student first or are you already in Canada as a student?

tammy23

Oct 30, 2009
I will be applying as a student first. We will be living together throughout my studies there and by the time I complete my studies it will exceed the minimum 12 months requirement.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
tammy23 said:
I will be applying as a student first. We will be living together throughout my studies there and by the time I complete my studies it will exceed the minimum 12 months requirement.
That would probably work since he is Canadian. Just search the site and you may find something that might be of help to you.

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
tammy23 said:
Hi, can I apply for a CLP visa while am still legally married? I don't live with my husband anymore.(Failed marriage but he is not giving me a divorce). And I met a Canadian guy in December 2008 and we fell in love. I travelled to Canada and spent 3 weeks with him and returned home after that. We have decided to live together and I would need a PR to live with him. And I will be upgrading my education while living with him in Canada.
Under the circumstance where you are unable to get a divorce, you must be separated for at least 1 year from your spouse and live in a common law relationship with your current partner for at least 1 year before you will qualify to be sponsored. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf section 5.38 for more details. Good Luck!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you will be living in Canada you would be able to get a divorce in Canada and would be expected to do so.

tammy23

Oct 30, 2009
Thank you very much to all who had been kind and helpful to my questions. Looking forward to starting a new life with my boyfriend in Canada if luck is with me.