+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed WP re-entry

loriance

Jan 22, 2023
Hello,
I am on a closed work permit that is valid thru next year (both for WP and visa). I am about to transfer to another work site for the same company south of the border before that valid date on WP/visa, and I am wondering whether I am allowed re-entry on the visa/WP once that transfer is done? Various sources confirm that I can legally stay in Canada before the WP expiry date even if I am not hired by the Canada branch of my company, and I am wondering whether the same applies for re entry? Thanks.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hello,
I am on a closed work permit that is valid thru next year (both for WP and visa). I am about to transfer to another work site for the same company south of the border before that valid date on WP/visa, and I am wondering whether I am allowed re-entry on the visa/WP once that transfer is done? Various sources confirm that I can legally stay in Canada before the WP expiry date even if I am not hired by the Canada branch of my company, and I am wondering whether the same applies for re entry? Thanks.
Just curious, do you have location restrictions on your closed WP? As long as you have a valid work permit and travel documentation (passport, TRV, visa etc.) you can re-enter Canada.

loriance

Jan 22, 2023
No travel restriction, the point is I might not be considered hired by a Canada company after I leave the country and when I return I won't regain the employment from the Canada company.

moscatojuices

Champion Member
Feb 21, 2022
No travel restriction, the point is I might not be considered hired by a Canada company after I leave the country and when I return I won't regain the employment from the Canada company.
Is your employment offer Canadian (i.e. under the labor laws of whichever province, with the office in a Canadian city)? Do you have established ties to Canada such as a lease?