+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit to pgwp

balaprasad123

Star Member
Aug 27, 2016
Hello, Everyone.First of all, have to thank all for their valuable inputs.

My position is a bit tricky.Let me explain in detail.

I recently finished my one yr course on Aug 26.So I am eligible to apply for pgwp which will end up getting one yr work permit.But noticed few of my senior students getting 2 and 3 yrs permit.

I got a job offer (one yr contract) to start from sep 15 before I finish my course.I explained the company that I can work under implied status once I apply for pgwp.But the company is not ready to hire unless I have a permit in hand.I don't want to miss this opportunity as it will be tough to get a job later. So the company processed lmia and now I got a closed work permit with the company for one yr.Right now I am working with them.

So my question is Whether I am still eligible to apply for pgwp as it is an open work permit and may get 2or 3 yrs.

Thanks in advance

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
If you are eithin your 90 days of graduation. After that you can't apply for pgwp.

Talk to an immigration consultant ASAP. This is not a question for an amateur.

Make sure it's a consultant who is registered.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So the fact that these senior students may have got 2 or 3 years is that hearsay or do you actually know whether they completed courses that passed the 2 year mark as opposed to just a single year ?

Rules are pretty clear 1)you have to apply with 90 days of the completion of your course and whilst your study permit is still valid. 2)for courses that are 8-23 months in length then a permit will be issued to match the length of the study period. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

What I guess is not clear now is whether now you have an LMIA that you are now disqualified for applying for a PGWP but rather than waste money on an immigration consultant better wait a few days for a forum answer. There is also a question whether the LMIA cancels out the validity of the study permit which also affects the PGWP application.

And whilst there is a view not a request for an amateur which we all are on this forum for sure someone may have been through the same situation but I would for a start checkout the validity of people saying they got 2/3 years PGWP off back of a one year course as that does not sound valid.