+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Classes while on Post Grad Work Permit

jhw

Feb 9, 2011
Greetings, I am preparing to submit my PR app and had a concern regrding classes while on a Post Grad work permit.

I work in an Archives that has a wealth of language recordings of the First Nation I work for and with the Language and Culture program to digitize, transcribe and translate oral histories. In order to assist in language revitalization (outreach, curriculum building, program expansion, etc.) and to better understand the history and culture off the region I wanted to learn the Band's Language.

I have an interest in First Nations' languages in general. Given the restrictions on taking classes imposed by the Work Permit, prior to taking classes in 2009 my wife called CIC to inquire about taking language classes, French for her (which she did not take) and a First Nation language for me. The CIC operator stated that language classes were exempt as long as each course was under six months and not part of a program or going towards a degree.

There are four separate courses (101, 102, 201, 202) offered by the local university which I did receive grades for, each with new registration, class numbers, and intake lasting 1 semester (4 months). I did not take the courses as part of a program or towards a degree. This information was re-verified on January 26, 2011 prior to completing this residency application.

I just wanted to have another professional opinion as to whether taking these language classes will count against me as studying while on a work permit.

Many thanks in advance.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jhw said:
Greetings, I am preparing to submit my PR app and had a concern regrding classes while on a Post Grad work permit.

I work in an Archives that has a wealth of language recordings of the First Nation I work for and with the Language and Culture program to digitize, transcribe and translate oral histories. In order to assist in language revitalization (outreach, curriculum building, program expansion, etc.) and to better understand the history and culture off the region I wanted to learn the Band's Language.

I have an interest in First Nations' languages in general. Given the restrictions on taking classes imposed by the Work Permit, prior to taking classes in 2009 my wife called CIC to inquire about taking language classes, French for her (which she did not take) and a First Nation language for me. The CIC operator stated that language classes were exempt as long as each course was under six months and not part of a program or going towards a degree.

There are four separate courses (101, 102, 201, 202) offered by the local university which I did receive grades for, each with new registration, class numbers, and intake lasting 1 semester (4 months). I did not take the courses as part of a program or towards a degree. This information was re-verified on January 26, 2011 prior to completing this residency application.

I just wanted to have another professional opinion as to whether taking these language classes will count against me as studying while on a work permit.

Many thanks in advance.
What the CIC agent told your wife is still correct.