+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on Employment Offer for current position

JerBear123

May 12, 2022
I have received an ITA and currently filling up my application for EE under PNP stream.

Under "Work history" it ask for if I have a job offer. I am aware that a "valid job offer" for EE purpose (ie. getting that 50 points) requires a job offer supported by LMIA. However, my initial job offer received in Nov 2021 for my current job was issued under PGWP so there's no need for LMIA.

Nevertheless when I entered "yes" for the job offer, and filled in the details for my job offer received in Nov 2021, the resultant document list request for an "Offer of Employment" and "Letter of Employment". Note that this is separate from the "Employment Reference" requested to prove my work experience in my current position.

So here's where I am confused:
  1. Does the "have a job offer" refer generically to if I have a job offer, or does it specifically follow the definition of "valid job offer"?
  2. Since my job offer is for my current position and was issued almost 2 years ago, should I be entering "no" for the question asking if I have a job offer?
  3. What's the difference between "Offer of Employment" and "Letter of Employment"? From the description and requirements they seem to be the same thing, so do I just upload my initial job offer for both documents?
Note that if my answer for "job offer" is no, my document list will no longer contain "Offer of Employment" and "Letter of Employment". Also note that regardless if my answer to that question is yes or no, I was not awarded the 50 points for "Arranged employment" which is expected.

Any suggestion or help is greatly appreciated!

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I have received an ITA and currently filling up my application for EE under PNP stream.

Under "Work history" it ask for if I have a job offer. I am aware that a "valid job offer" for EE purpose (ie. getting that 50 points) requires a job offer supported by LMIA. However, my initial job offer received in Nov 2021 for my current job was issued under PGWP so there's no need for LMIA.

Nevertheless when I entered "yes" for the job offer, and filled in the details for my job offer received in Nov 2021, the resultant document list request for an "Offer of Employment" and "Letter of Employment". Note that this is separate from the "Employment Reference" requested to prove my work experience in my current position.

So here's where I am confused:
  1. Does the "have a job offer" refer generically to if I have a job offer, or does it specifically follow the definition of "valid job offer"?
  2. Since my job offer is for my current position and was issued almost 2 years ago, should I be entering "no" for the question asking if I have a job offer?
  3. What's the difference between "Offer of Employment" and "Letter of Employment"? From the description and requirements they seem to be the same thing, so do I just upload my initial job offer for both documents?
Note that if my answer for "job offer" is no, my document list will no longer contain "Offer of Employment" and "Letter of Employment". Also note that regardless if my answer to that question is yes or no, I was not awarded the 50 points for "Arranged employment" which is expected.

Any suggestion or help is greatly appreciated!
1. Valid job offer supported by LMIA or LMIA exempt job offer. More about it here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/offer-employment.html
2. Yes, you do not have a valid job offer. Unless you are LMIA exempt.