+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification around relative CRS points

vincan1987

Aug 17, 2021
Hi everyone. I need an advise on something. I have recently entered the EE and have got CRS points for my wife's brother who is a PR.

The catch is currently, he does not stay in Canada (but in US) and might move to Canada in October once his US visa expires. Do you think I should go ahead and get the points in this scenario? Also, what are the kind of documents that are required to claim relative points?

In case I get an ITA and if he is not able to move to Canada, should i put it in LOE or should I deny the invitation altogether? Please advise.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As stated on the IRCC website,
  • This documentation is required if the applicant indicates that they, or their accompanying spouse or common-law partner, have a family member in Canada who is a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen.
  • A copy of both sides of the family member's Canadian citizenship document, Canadian birth certificate and/or permanent resident card must be provided.
  • Evidence that the family member currently resides in Canada must be provided (a residential lease, mortgage documents, utility bills, etc.).
    • The documents must show their address in Canada and should be recent (dated within six months prior to submission).
  • Proof of the relationship of the applicant or the accompanying spouse or common-law partner to the family member must also be provided (e.g., a birth certificate, an official document naming the applicant as a relative, a copy of the inside back cover of the relative’s passport showing the relative’s parents’ marriage certificate, legal adoption documents and any other documents that prove or describe the relationship).
  • If the applicant claims a stepbrother or stepsister, there should be no evidence in the application that the marriage or common-law relationship between the parents of the stepbrother or stepsister has broken down.
If he doesn’t reside in Canada then you decline the invitation.

Reactions: vincan1987

vincan1987

Aug 17, 2021
As stated on the IRCC website,
  • This documentation is required if the applicant indicates that they, or their accompanying spouse or common-law partner, have a family member in Canada who is a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen.
  • A copy of both sides of the family member's Canadian citizenship document, Canadian birth certificate and/or permanent resident card must be provided.
  • Evidence that the family member currently resides in Canada must be provided (a residential lease, mortgage documents, utility bills, etc.).
    • The documents must show their address in Canada and should be recent (dated within six months prior to submission).
  • Proof of the relationship of the applicant or the accompanying spouse or common-law partner to the family member must also be provided (e.g., a birth certificate, an official document naming the applicant as a relative, a copy of the inside back cover of the relative’s passport showing the relative’s parents’ marriage certificate, legal adoption documents and any other documents that prove or describe the relationship).
  • If the applicant claims a stepbrother or stepsister, there should be no evidence in the application that the marriage or common-law relationship between the parents of the stepbrother or stepsister has broken down.
If he doesn’t reside in Canada then you decline the invitation.
Thanks @Naturgrl . Let's say I get the ITA, if the cut off is lower and even after remove the relative CRS points from my submitted score, I still am above the cutoff. Should i still decline the invitation or should I accept and mention in the LOE that I am not counting relative points in my final application?

What do you suggest?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Just to add that you need his residency proof within 6 months prior to submission. You can keep him off and then add him once he moves to Canada. You can accept the invitation if you are still above the cut off if you take his points off. Assume your CRS score is over 470 if you are thinking about keeping him on.

vincan1987

Aug 17, 2021
Just to add that you need his residency proof within 6 months prior to submission. You can keep him off and then add him once he moves to Canada. You can accept the invitation if you are still above the cut off if you take his points off. Assume your CRS score is over 470 if you are thinking about keeping him on.
The CRS score is getting close to 480 on adding him but otherwise is close to 465. :D Hence the dilemma as it right on the cut off border.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The CRS score is getting close to 480 on adding him but otherwise is close to 465. :D Hence the dilemma as it right on the cut off border.
My opinion only - your in-law needs to living in Canada to show proof of residency for several months. If not living in Canada, then don't include. Once he moves then update your file.

Reactions: vincan1987