+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship process/time for Baby born outside Canada?

KiranLev

Jun 27, 2012
Hi all,

My husband is a Canadian citizen by naturalization who works in Toronto, and I am a PR - but not yet a citizen. We just had our first child a few weeks ago in India ( I travelled to India to give birth as it was our first child and I needed the support).

We are now planning on returning home to Canada soon with our baby, as my husband's parental leave ends in September. However, we are confused as to how we can travel with the baby. I understand our baby is already a Canadian citizen thanks to my husband, however in order for her to travel she will need a passport, and in order to get a passport, apparently the CIC wants us to get a proof of citizenship certificate for the baby - the processing time for this is 6-8 months!!

Is there anyone who has gone through the same process for their child who can guide us on how to travel back to Canada within the next 2-3 months with our baby ?

Also, one of the things CIC wants as supporting documentation is 2 passport size photographs of the newborn! Has anyone managed to get a newborn to sit still with their eyes open long enough for CIC's passport size photo requirements?!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you have applied for the citizenship certificate through the embassy, you should be able to get a temporary passport for the baby to travel. As for how to get the photo, I guess find a patient photographer :)