+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship physical presence calculator - do I declare implied status?

Otmail1091

Jun 4, 2020
Hi All!

1. Do I declare or do not declare the implied status (waiting on decision re my visitor visa) when calculating physical presence for citizenship?
In physical presence calculator they ask:
Type of status I had between 2015-06-16 and 2017-05-10
I held numerous visitor visas but had 3-4 months gaps between them (implied status) as they were reviewing my applications.
So do I count those months or do I omit those months of waiting (being in implied status) and put the dates exactly as they appear on my visitor visa records?

2. If I held two types of statuses simultaneously (visitor and Temporary worker): do I declare both though I held them at the same time?

3. And then again in the main application they ask for the status during 2015-06-16 to 2017-05-10 (when status was obtained and when expired).

And I am not sure how to put it: exactly how it appears on all my visitor records and work permit?
And just ignore the months when I was in implied status? Or declare them as in implied status?

Thank You in advance for your help!

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Time spent as a visitor in Canada prior to becoming a PR does not earn credit towards citizenship residency obligation. Therefore, time spent on implied status waiting for your visitor status to be renewed would also not count.
Only time spent as a legal worker or student earns (½) credit.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Time spent as a visitor in Canada prior to becoming a PR does not earn credit towards citizenship residency obligation. Therefore, time spent on implied status waiting for your visitor status to be renewed would also not count.
Or protected persons!

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
NOT TRUE

From IRCC (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html#time):

"Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person within the last 5 years counts as one half day when you calculate your physical presence. You can use a maximum of 365 days as a temporary resident or protected person toward your time spent in Canada.

A temporary resident is someone who is authorized to enter or stay in Canada as a:

• visitor
  • student
  • worker or
  • temporary resident permit holder"

Reactions: Troy2245 and melito