+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

cITIZENSHIP FOR UNDER 18

Ahadi

Feb 2, 2008
I'm 17 years old, I came to Canada in 2002 alone, when i was 11 years old alone, now I'm a permenent resident and I want to apply for citizenship, but it asks me that one of my parents has to be a canadian citizen. my parents are not here with me in Canada and I live with my uncle. He has been my guardian by the immagration, but not by the court or anything, Can he sign my applications as my guardian?, because he is the only realitive that i have here in Canada.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanx

nomlah

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
Ahadi said:
I'm 17 years old, I came to Canada in 2002 alone, when i was 11 years old alone, now I'm a permenent resident and I want to apply for citizenship, but it asks me that one of my parents has to be a canadian citizen. my parents are not here with me in Canada and I live with my uncle. He has been my guardian by the immagration, but not by the court or anything, Can he sign my applications as my guardian?, because he is the only realitive that i have here in Canada.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanx
Hi,
If your uncle is receiving your Child Tax Benefit, I think he can sign your application. To confirm, call citizenship dept.

Good luck,

Webmaster,
http://thinkingofcanada.com
http://study.thinkingofcanada.com
http://voices.thinkingofcanada.com
http://video.thinkingofcanada.com

NEWCAN2014

Nov 25, 2014
Hi,

My Scenario

I have become a naturalized Canadian Citizen in Nov 2014. I have two sons elder one was born in 2006
and younger one was born 2008. Both are landed Canadian Immigrants in 2007 and 2010 respectively.
The PR card of elder son has been expired in 2012 and PR card for younger son is valid till Nov 2015.
My Wife also Landed Immigrant in 2007 and her PR card is also expired in 2012.

All of them left Canada in 2012 due to some serious family issues and living back home since then.
The residensy obligation is unfortunately was not fullfilled by all of them. This means my wife and
elder son cannot enter Canada again. I have applied for a travel document for them but local Canadian
Highcommision declined the Travel Document Application. I need my Wife and Children back in Canada before
the expiry of my younger son's PR Card i.e. Nov 2015.

My Questions

1) How to retain residency for All of them?
2) I believe my sons are not eligible for Canadian Citizenship as desent, so I cannot proceed with
"Citizenship Certificate Appplication" followed by "Canadian Passport Application"? So I need to
apply "Canadian Citizenship as Minor" for them.
3) If they are living with me for next two year will that be good enough for CIC to maintain/accept
residency days outside Canada? and maintain residency obligation?
4) What advantage can be taken from my Canadian Citizenship for them.
5) If I want to secure the children Canadian Citizenship, what steps do I have to take?
6) If I want to secure the spouse Canadian Citizenship, what steps do I have to take?

This is a very complex situation for me to handle these. I need someone's expert advice and guidance
for best possible way out and achievement of ultimate goal for "Canadian Citizenship" for all of my
family. I know any child born outside Canada to a Canadian Parent will automatically eligible for
citizenship certificate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If the travel document was already refused - then you can try appealing this decision. To win the appeal, you would have to prove there are H&C reasons why they failed to meet the residency requirement. Note that attending school outside of Canada is not accepted as an H&C reason.

Alternatively, you can forget about appealing (if you don't appeal this will effectively mean they have lost their PR status) and instead sponsor them for permanent residency from scratch as your family members.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Humanitarian & compassionate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
NEWCAN2014 said:
Hi scylla

What would be the best reason for Humanitarian & compassionate.
Serious illness prevented someone from returning to Canada. This would have to be backed up by hard evidence such as doctor's notes, hospitalization records, etc. You would have to prove you were unable to return to Canada for several years.