+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Certificate & Work Visa

chaulklet

Aug 18, 2016
Hello all,

Just a few question I have and was wondering if anyone here can help me.

Would I be considered a Canadian Citizen if my mom is a naturalized Canadian citizen when she had us? Only 1 parent is Canadian citizen. We are all born in the states (california) and if it helps I was born in 93. I tried taking the assessment and it says you are most likely but I want to make sure before I start to applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate. Please let me know what information you need to help determine before I start applying.

Also, a family friend of mine in Alberta has a job offer available for me to work. I was wondering if I should apply for a work visa first then go ahead and apply for the proof just to see if I am considered a citizen. Would it be easier (but longer) to apply for proof and then go submit a passport application or just go with a work visa first?

If it's rather confusing please let me know so I can clear it up. Any help is appreciated thank you!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

chaulklet said:
Hello all,

Just a few question I have and was wondering if anyone here can help me.

Would I be considered a Canadian Citizen if my mom is a naturalized Canadian citizen when she had us? Only 1 parent is Canadian citizen. We are all born in the states (california) and if it helps I was born in 93. I tried taking the assessment and it says you are most likely but I want to make sure before I start to applying for a Canadian citizenship certificate. Please let me know what information you need to help determine before I start applying.

Also, a family friend of mine in Alberta has a job offer available for me to work. I was wondering if I should apply for a work visa first then go ahead and apply for the proof just to see if I am considered a citizen. Would it be easier (but longer) to apply for proof and then go submit a passport application or just go with a work visa first?

If it's rather confusing please let me know so I can clear it up. Any help is appreciated thank you!
1 Assuming that your mother naturalized to receive her citizenship and not through descent, then you are a Canadian citizen. So apply for proof of citizenship.
2. It is unlikely that you would get a work permit, unless your prospective employer has advertised the position for 4 weeks and no Canadian or Permanent resident was qualified for the job and the employer has paid the $1K for a LMIA from ESDC (12-14 weeks processing)

chaulklet

Aug 18, 2016
PMM said:
Hi

1 Assuming that your mother naturalized to receive her citizenship and not through descent, then you are a Canadian citizen. So apply for proof of citizenship.
2. It is unlikely that you would get a work permit, unless your prospective employer has advertised the position for 4 weeks and no Canadian or Permanent resident was qualified for the job and the employer has paid the $1K for a LMIA from ESDC (12-14 weeks processing)
That answers the work permit/visa question.. good to know! Thank you! Would it be best if apply for proof of citizenship, go for a passport afterwards and then take the job? It's along process but since I can't apply for work visa might as well go the other way.

Had to google what citizenship through descent meant. So my understanding is that it's not through descent if she receive her citizenship through the naturalization process and not being born out of country from Canadian parent's?

Edit: Looking at the document checklist for application for citizen certificate, what scenario would I technically fall under for additional documents? scenario 3?