+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship certificate and passport

alice051

Jan 2, 2021
After getting the citizenship certificate, do I have to apply for canadian passport right away? what if I need to travel outside canada and come back in 1-2years, can I wait until then to obtain the canadian passport? thx

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
After getting the citizenship certificate, do I have to apply for canadian passport right away? what if I need to travel outside canada and come back in 1-2years, can I wait until then to obtain the canadian passport? thx
There is no obligation to get a Canadian passport.

However, once you are outside Canada, you can't come back to Canada without a Canadian passport. You can take the citizenship certificate with you when you travel and apply for a Canadian passport in a Canadian consulate in the country you are residing in.

Good luck!

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
True, applying for a passport isn't a must right away, or ever. Actually if you must travel soon, you might have a good excuse for expedited/urgent processing.

Would also add that all Canadian passports, even if you applied abroad, are only produced/printed in Canada, so account for the mailing time if ever you'd like to apply for a passport abroad.

Reactions: CaBeaver