+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Ceremony Tips: duration, clothing, documents

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
I have seen multiple questions re citizenship ceremony: how much time it takes, what documents to bring, what to wear, etc. Decided to share here my experience I had at the ceremony. Please note that these observations could be wrong for other people and cities. Use them for guidance, not rule.

Documents.
You must bring with you all originals of current and past PR Cards, current and past passports, Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), and Notice to Appear to the Citizenship Ceremony. The latter contains two forms that you need to sign: media release form (to allow others to take pictures) and confirmation that you are not prosecuted, etc, a form that was also a part of the original application.

Duration and timing.
My oath was at 11am, and my invitation stated 10.30am with a note that I do not need to arrive earlier. I thought these 30 mins are spent on checking documents and sitting candidates. Therefore, I arrived at 10.45am and was one of the last people in line. At around 10.55am I got to a booth where they requested my letter of invitation with two forms signed and my PR card (current and previous). They did not need my passport and COPR. They suggested I keep COPR for lifetime in case of requirement to verify something in future. I was given several booklets with oath, anthem, congratulations letters by the PM and the Minister and other useful info. They requested me to take a seat at seat number indicated on my invitation. Ceremony started at 11.10am, and ended at 12.15pm. You need to allocate minimum 1.5 hours for this. If paying for parking pay for two hours.

What to wear. Everyone wore nice clothing, like an important event: women nice dresses, men in suits, some in shirts. In general atmosphere recommended that you do not wear jeans, snickers, and T-shirt or hoody.

Ceremony description. The clerk provided some information about citizenship, privileges and duties. The judge has arrived and told some stories about brave Canadians and how good volunteering is. Then it was announced that we take the oath in both languages, stand-up, raise the right hand, repeat the sentences after the judge aloud (you can read it from a booklet you were given). Some officers walked around to ensure everyone repeated oath. After the oath, we sang the Canadian anthem. Then the clerk started reading names, and those had to come up to sign a form that received Certificate and receive it from the judge after shaking hands. Someone can take a picture here without posing because there will be photo session afterwards. You need to ensure all info on the certificate is correct, if not approach the clerk after everyone is done to report this. They called names by seat number we had. If you are on seat 54, you would be 54th person to be called. So, we had approx 100 people and the ceremony itself took an hour.

Afterwards. We were told to apply for passport minimum two business days after the ceremony. And that we can go to another room to take pictures with the judge and/or any other special guests. You are free to leave without taking pictures.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
So they're no longer stamping the COPRs eh?
I remember years back when mine got stamped with a "the holder is no longer a permanent resident" .

It's a business casual type cermony, people even wear their traditional countries clothing too, to look nicer.
Depends on some ceremonies, some can be longer, some shorter.

At least you;re done, congrats and welcome to the Canadian family

marylatt

Star Member
Nov 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2011
Nomination.....
09-06-2011 (CSQ received)
AOR Received.
17-01-2011
File Transfer...
09-06-2011 (beginning of federal process)
Med's Request
22-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-10-2012
Interview........
Name showed up on e-cas: 26-03-2012
Passport Req..
14-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
28-01-2013
Thanks so much for this! Are you required to sign the media release, or is that optional?

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
It's optional but if you don't sign they need to have a separate oath, which is not guaranteed to take place same day.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I have seen multiple questions re citizenship ceremony: how much time it takes, what documents to bring, what to wear, etc. Decided to share here my experience I had at the ceremony. Please note that these observations could be wrong for other people and cities. Use them for guidance, not rule.

Documents.
You must bring with you all originals of current and past PR Cards, current and past passports, Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), and Notice to Appear to the Citizenship Ceremony. The latter contains two forms that you need to sign: media release form (to allow others to take pictures) and confirmation that you are not prosecuted, etc, a form that was also a part of the original application.

Duration and timing.
My oath was at 11am, and my invitation stated 10.30am with a note that I do not need to arrive earlier. I thought these 30 mins are spent on checking documents and sitting candidates. Therefore, I arrived at 10.45am and was one of the last people in line. At around 10.55am I got to a booth where they requested my letter of invitation with two forms signed and my PR card (current and previous). They did not need my passport and COPR. They suggested I keep COPR for lifetime in case of requirement to verify something in future. I was given several booklets with oath, anthem, congratulations letters by the PM and the Minister and other useful info. They requested me to take a seat at seat number indicated on my invitation. Ceremony started at 11.10am, and ended at 12.15pm. You need to allocate minimum 1.5 hours for this. If paying for parking pay for two hours.

What to wear. Everyone wore nice clothing, like an important event: women nice dresses, men in suits, some in shirts. In general atmosphere recommended that you do not wear jeans, snickers, and T-shirt or hoody.

Ceremony description. The clerk provided some information about citizenship, privileges and duties. The judge has arrived and told some stories about brave Canadians and how good volunteering is. Then it was announced that we take the oath in both languages, stand-up, raise the right hand, repeat the sentences after the judge aloud (you can read it from a booklet you were given). Some officers walked around to ensure everyone repeated oath. After the oath, we sang the Canadian anthem. Then the clerk started reading names, and those had to come up to sign a form that received Certificate and receive it from the judge after shaking hands. Someone can take a picture here without posing because there will be photo session afterwards. You need to ensure all info on the certificate is correct, if not approach the clerk after everyone is done to report this. They called names by seat number we had. If you are on seat 54, you would be 54th person to be called. So, we had approx 100 people and the ceremony itself took an hour.

Afterwards. We were told to apply for passport minimum two business days after the ceremony. And that we can go to another room to take pictures with the judge and/or any other special guests. You are free to leave without taking pictures.
Thanks for sharing your experience, my Oath is coming soon and i find it useful!

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012

Documents.

Duration and timing.

@razerblade -- Motorcycle leathers should be appropriate, IMO ;-)

Reactions: razerblade