+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship by descent

Jun 10, 2024
Hello,
I'm trying to determine if my grandfather was a Canadian Citizen. He lived in Saskatoon from the age of a young boy to the time he went off to dental school in the US. He and the family escaped Romania and fled to Canada where other family members were living.
https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1916&op=img&id=31228_4363973-00752 He's listed as Michael Rosenblatt on line 14. But that was his middle name.
Thanks for any input and help!
Heather

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
This is not an ancestry site. It is public immigration forum. You are not a citizen.
They probably are a Canadian citizen in 8 days. Be nicer to people. I found a matching name naturalized, but agree that's for another archive site.

Citizenship will transmit to them.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Hello,
I'm trying to determine if my grandfather was a Canadian Citizen. He lived in Saskatoon from the age of a young boy to the time he went off to dental school in the US. He and the family escaped Romania and fled to Canada where other family members were living.
https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?app=Census1916&op=img&id=31228_4363973-00752 He's listed as Michael Rosenblatt on line 14. But that was his middle name.
Thanks for any input and help!
Heather
You need to ascertain if your grandfather naturalized as a British subject in Canada. That record listed him as still being an alien in 1916. If he did and did not renounce or have it revoked before Canadian citizenship commenced in 1947, then I believe he became a Canadian citizen in 2015 under 3(1)(k).

Reactions: scylla

weofikl

Jan 26, 2017
You need to ascertain if your grandfather naturalized as a British subject in Canada. That record listed him as still being an alien in 1916. If he did and did not renounce or have it revoked before Canadian citizenship commenced in 1947, then I believe he became a Canadian citizen in 2015 under 3(1)(k).
They can freedom of information all documents related to his immigration. Takes about 8 months. It's shocking what I got back in detail for my family from around this time. It will have all the numbers. I think from the public naturalization lists he is a citizen, but it's a common name.

The 1931 census just got released as well. I didn't check there, but that would prove it too.

As for the transmission to granchildren, it's not 100% yet, but seems highly likely should they get it together that they are a citizen. Lots of gatekeepers will be disappointed here.