+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship application / unsuccessful own company

Eva75

Apr 10, 2024
Hi,
I want to apply for the citizenship. In the last five years there was a period where I tried to run a business (just me). I never made any money, the whole thing was no success. My accountant said I don't need to make the taxes for this company since I just had expenses, but did not make any money, so I just make my personal taxes as usual. I shut the business down pretty fast then also...

Sooo... now I am wondering if I need to mention this in my application. I was basically a homemaker during this time as a mother of two young children. I would not want to mention this business, because I am afraid they will ask why I did not make my taxes for it... but I am also afraid that they will find out that I once registered a company... I don't know what to do, I did not make anything illegal, but I feel not comfortable neither...

Thank you!

arthurpono

Jan 6, 2020
I am in similar situation as you but I filled my taxes for 0 because I did not receive any income. If you were under a work permit linked to that company if you do not list you were working you will be lying about your status and will be worst.

Did you file your personal taxes during that time? If yes you do not have to worry about the IRCC, they only check if you filled the taxes they do not check the rest.

Now if you were under PR status now it is a different scenario.

On this site it says: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html

Filing income tax
You may need to file taxes in Canada for at least 3 years during the 5 years right before the date you apply.

I am sure of those 5 years you filled your personal taxes for three years.

Last edited:

Eva75

Apr 10, 2024
Thanks for your answer!

I am PR, since 2012.

And yes, I always filed my personal taxes, together with my partner who is Canadian.

arthurpono

Jan 6, 2020
If you are PR it is easier in your case but confirm with someone that knows better. I am not an Immigration lawyer I called one and he told me you were under work permit so you must list you were working because of the status. I am not 100% sure but in your case i think you can say you were not working. CRA only shares information like taxes were filled or not, they do not care about the information.

Last edited: