+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application - do I need a police certificate?

omarawad

Jul 1, 2018
I have been a temporary resident in Canada (student + PGWP) for 4 years and by the end of this period I visited my home country for 190 days in a row during which I received my PR acceptance e-mail. I had to go back to Canada to finish my PR landing and I've been living in Canada till I became eligible to apply for citizenship. In my citizenship application, do I need to provide a police certificate for my home country?

In the application guide, the wording is as follows:

Police certificate(s)
You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there

• in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18

Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years

I'm not sure if the second part only applies to newcomer PRs only or as well to people who transitioned from temporary residents to PRs?

Lammergeier16

Oct 15, 2018
Better to get one now, than when they ask during the processing of your application. If you have more than 180 days in the any country other than Canada in one trip, you need police certificate. In your case, you need from your home country. You may have submitted one during your PR process, but that one would have date which is before this 190 days. So get one to be safe.

omarawad

Jul 1, 2018
Better to get one now, than when they ask during the processing of your application. If you have more than 180 days in the any country other than Canada in one trip, you need police certificate. In your case, you need from your home country. You may have submitted one during your PR process, but that one would have date which is before this 190 days. So get one to be safe.
But doesn't the below exception apply to me?

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years

Alalac

Oct 2, 2021
I have been a temporary resident in Canada (student + PGWP) for 4 years and by the end of this period I visited my home country for 190 days in a row during which I received my PR acceptance e-mail. I had to go back to Canada to finish my PR landing and I've been living in Canada till I became eligible to apply for citizenship. In my citizenship application, do I need to provide a police certificate for my home country?

In the application guide, the wording is as follows:

I'm not sure if the second part only applies to newcomer PRs only or as well to people who transitioned from temporary residents to PRs?
Yes you will need to apply for a police certificate