+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application - do I need a police certificate or not?

Mgallimore88

Jun 27, 2018
Hi, I've been reading the 'Document Checklist' form and the "Guide: Application for Canadian Citizenship: Adults - Subsection 5(1) CIT 0002" both from the canada.ca website and I am unsure whether I am required to submit a police certificate 1. from the from the UK or 2. from Canada along with my citizenship application.

In the application guide, the wording is as follows:

Police certificate(s)

You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there

• in the past 4 years
  • for 183 days or more in a row
  • since the age of 18

Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.

You don’t need to provide a police certificate if

• you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years

I was in the UK immediately prior to obtaining PR in November 2019, and I returned to the UK for more than 183 days once I activated my PR.
I then returned to Canada, where I have been for (almost) three years out of the last 5. I'm planning on applying for Citizenhsip in a few weeks when I'm eligible, but I'm wondering whether I need police certificate from the UK.

My interpretation is that I will need a police certificate from the UK because I left Canada after obtaining PR and stayed in that location for more than 183 days, but the second part of the wording is confusing me- where it says you don't need to provide a police certificate if...

Thank you for any help interpreting this.

Best regards,
Michael.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The second part is specific to pre-PR days spent in your home country and doesn't apply to you since you spent those 183+ days in UK after becoming a PR.

Yes, you need a UK police certificate in this case. You can apply for it soon, no need to wait for when you're eligible, and add it to your application in a few weeks.