+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship and sponsoring spouse and children

pinoy1979

Nov 17, 2014
Hi! I would like to ask about citizenship and sponsoring wife.. My problem is,,, i have been to canada for four years as permanent residence.. Rescently i pass the citizenship exam and waiting for the oath taking.. And also im sponsoring my wife.. We just married last year 2014.. But during application of citizenship i have declared not married.. Coz i have submit my application last 2013 and we get married by 2014.. Is there any conflict if I will sponsor her right now? And we have a daughter.. Coz shes pregnant when the time i migrate here last 2010 but were not living with each other.. I just know that she was pregnant 5 months before my flight to Canada.. We have no time to get married since my application for nominee program was already aproved and im already waiting for my visa..so i told here that i will marry her when i came back.. And i went home last year to marry her.. May 28, 2010 when i came to canada and she give birth to our daughter august 2010.. Is there any problem will occur if i sponsor both of them? Can i sponsor both of them? Please help.. I really need any helpful advice.. Thanks in advance..

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
pinoy1979 said:
Hi! I would like to ask about citizenship and sponsoring wife.. My problem is,,, i have been to canada for four years as permanent residence.. Rescently i pass the citizenship exam and waiting for the oath taking.. And also im sponsoring my wife.. We just married last year 2014.. But during application of citizenship i have declared not married.. Coz i have submit my application last 2013 and we get married by 2014.. Is there any conflict if I will sponsor her right now? And we have a daughter.. Coz shes pregnant when the time i migrate here last 2010 but were not living with each other.. I just know that she was pregnant 5 months before my flight to Canada.. We have no time to get married since my application for nominee program was already aproved and im already waiting for my visa..so i told here that i will marry her when i came back.. And i went home last year to marry her.. May 28, 2010 when i came to canada and she give birth to our daughter august 2010.. Is there any problem will occur if i sponsor both of them? Can i sponsor both of them? Please help.. I really need any helpful advice.. Thanks in advance..
to sponsor your wife and daughter you do not need to be a citizen. You can sponsor her as a permanent resident ( which you are right now). It would have been more easy to include her as your common law partner and your daughter as your dependent at the time your your pr application was in process. Anyhow even now while submitting your citizenship application you haven't still declare your wife and daughter which is a serious problem and might put you in serious issues. (Misrepresentation, giving a false statement which is considered as a crime). If you don't declare your wife and daughter you can never sponsor them.
You still have a chance to fix your problem as you got officially married after your pr plus your daughter born after you get your landing in Canada. You have to update your citizenship application first by providing the information of your wife and daughter. If you do not update your information and you become a citizen then you will never be able to sponsor them so update your information before your application gets completed. Once your records shows you have a wife and a daughter only then you will be eligible to sponsor both of them.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
At the time you landed as PR, you weren't married and weren't common-law, and your child was not yet born, so it was right for you not to declare them at the time and simply land as single.

Since you are now married, you can start the process to sponsor your wife and daughter under a regular family class application. You can do this while you are a PR, so should do so as soon as possible. Getting your citizenship also is not really relevant to your PR app, although if you start the PR app and become a citizen partway through, you would just need to update the visa office processing the PR app accordingly.

I'm not too familiar with the citizenship application but if it asks for your family status, you better indicate that you are married and have a daughter. If your status was single at the time you submitted the citizenship app that is fine, but you should update them with any changes to that (such as getting married).

pinoy1979

Nov 17, 2014
As i have mention i already pass the exam for citizenship last month.. And waiting for the oath taking ceremony.