+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship and oath

success2016

Jul 13, 2016
I know the times for when they call you for the test and oath are different for every individual but what is the soonest they will contact you to come for the oath after you write the test. I'm going to be abroad when they call me for the test so I have to come back once for the ceremony and come back again for the oath.

In what situations will they have the test and oath on the same day?

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
I think you should try to concentrate on making sure that you are still fulfilling obligations of citizenship application such as PR status validity and ' intent to reside ' clause during the time you are not in Canada. It seems from the many recent posts you have made, you are trying to find some hidden route which will let you have your cake and eat it too i.e. Stay abroad and yet be able to complete all process without delay or based on your personal timetable.
Unfortunately it's not quite so simple. If you are lucky, your application may go through without any deeper scrutiny and could get to finish line in a few months. Or there could be RQ or other process delays and then it could take up to 2 years.
So best way is to be prepared for worst case whilst hoping for best scenario.

success2016

Jul 13, 2016
Almost_Canadian said:
I think you should try to concentrate on making sure that you are still fulfilling obligations of citizenship application such as PR status validity and ' intent to reside ' clause during the time you are not in Canada. It seems from the many recent posts you have made, you are trying to find some hidden route which will let you have your cake and eat it too i.e. Stay abroad and yet be able to complete all process without delay or based on your personal timetable.
Unfortunately it's not quite so simple. If you are lucky, your application may go through without any deeper scrutiny and could get to finish line in a few months. Or there could be RQ or other process delays and then it could take up to 2 years.
I have fulfilled my PR obligations. I'm allowed to leave Canada after applying. I have full intention of residing but I am going to be abroad for a few months and it just happens to be in the time of my application. Is there anything wrong with what I'm doing? If so please let me know because I am knew at this so you might know something I don't.

success2016

Jul 13, 2016
Almost_Canadian said:
I would not be hiding anything though. Just like I previously said I am going abroad after application for a few months. The timing just happened to be so. And what is RQ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
success2016 said:
I would not be hiding anything though. Just like I previously said I am going abroad after application for a few months. The timing just happened to be so. And what is RQ?
RQ is when they ask you to submit a boat load of additional documentation to prove you meet the residency requirement (e.g. bank statements, credit card statements, lease agreements, proof of employment, health card records, educational records, utility bills, etc. etc. etc.). It's a pain because so much paperwork has to be gathered and delays the the process.

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
As you say, you have fulfilled your PR obligations. My point is that during the time the citizenship application is being processed, the PR obligation continues. So each day abroad during that time, you have to check backward counting 5 years that you are still in compliance with the PR obligation. If not, your citizenship application cannot proceed or may be rejected later on.

Now coming to my point about being prepared for the worst.

Let's say it takes 2 years to process the application. During that time you have to make sure that you are not overseas for such a length of time that your PR status is in doubt. If this is going to be the case, then you need to prepare some plan for that. Perhaps you need to see how you can readjust your life so that you are back in Canada before that happens. Similarly you need to think about what happens if your PR card expires while your citizenship application is being processed. How will you apply for a new one or what would you do if you need to travel urgently etc.
Another issue is that while overseas , are you able to drop everything and come back once you get a letter inviting you for the test ?
As for RQ, they will send you a questionnaire and you have to fill in very detailed information along with many documents as per their request. If you are overseas , would you be able to gather all these documents and send it off to them ?
These are just a few of the issues which you need to think about.
Hopefully your case will be resolved under normal timelines.
All the best and hope things work out for you.

Alias

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
The problem with RQ is that if the application goes off the normal queue and then there is no structured timelines to it. So it may mean a very long delay. There are lots of cases with RQ on this forum which you can refer to. Do your due diligence and see what works best for you. Best of luck,