+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizen living outside Canada

lemmor

Jun 1, 2009
Hi,

Me, my wife and children became Canadian citizen last 2006. Though we have a regular job right now but for the past few months because of the economy our company looks shaky. So I decided to get into healthcare which is the recession proof job right now. The problem is before I could get-in to the nursing degree here, I need to wait for couple of months or maybe a year because of their long wait list aside from soooo... many requirements (my goodness!)

So, I decided to continue my degree in Nursing back in our country, Philippines.

These are my questions:

1. How long are we allowed to stay in foreign country ? I am planning to stay there for 2 to 3 years, is there gonna be a problem with our citizenship for that long?

2. If we are allowed to stay there for couple of years, Where do we pay our taxes? to the Philippine government or Canadian government?

3. Lastly, What are the dis-advantages if we stay there for long? i.e. healthcare, child benefits etc...

Thanks and hope to hear from you guys soon...!!!!

Sincerely,

Lemmor

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

lemmor said:
Hi,

Me, my wife and children became Canadian citizen last 2006. Though we have a regular job right now but for the past few months because of the economy our company looks shaky. So I decided to get into healthcare which is the recession proof job right now. The problem is before I could get-in to the nursing degree here, I need to wait for couple of months or maybe a year because of their long wait list aside from soooo... many requirements (my goodness!)

So, I decided to continue my degree in Nursing back in our country, Philippines.

These are my questions:

1. How long are we allowed to stay in foreign country ? I am planning to stay there for 2 to 3 years, is there gonna be a problem with our citizenship for that long?

2. If we are allowed to stay there for couple of years, Where do we pay our taxes? to the Philippine government or Canadian government?

3. Lastly, What are the dis-advantages if we stay there for long? i.e. healthcare, child benefits etc...

Thanks and hope to hear from you guys soon...!!!!

Sincerely,

Lemmor
1. Assuming you are Canadian citizens and not just Permanent residents, you can remain outside Canada for as long as you want.
2. If you leave Canada you are no longer entitled to health care or child tax benefits.
3. Unless you become non resident for tax purposes, then you are supposed to file in both countries.

PMM