+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC screwed up our life together!

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
Hey Guys,

Today is my last day on this site. It was an extremely useful site and thanks to everyone who contributed to educate me one way or the other. Sponsorship to Canada WILL NOT work for everyone, and unfortunately, we are one couple it didn't work out for. We have filed for divorce on the basis of a one-year separation, and have agreed to each move on as CIC completely screwed up our lives together. That being said, I know the bad guys out there have made the process so tough and good people end up getting refused. Good luck to all out there still expecting their decisions, and for those like me, take heart and move on. Life must always continue no matter what!!!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can you say why you feel CIC screwed up your life?
One of your earliest posts was about divorce and cancelling PR, maybe the problem was there before you applied to CIC.
I obviously don't know, that is why I am asking.

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
Hi Baloo,

We are no saints, and we definitely had our own faults. But notwithstanding, our marriage was geniune and not for the purpose of immigrating to Canada. Based on this, my spouse should have the visa, but oh well, too bad she's my ex now.....

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So CIC were messing you around before you came here :(

Ignoring the faults (that we all have), was there any one specific thing that others could learn from your experience with CIC?

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
Hmmmmmmmmm........ in your first post in September, you said....

Canuky said:
I recently applied to sponsor my wife to Canada, and she's awaiting the results of background check before the visa is issued. She has done her medicals and interview at the Embassy in Manila. Now, the issue is we have a disagreement that cannot be resolved except thru' divorce. My wife's family had asked that I wait to hear the outcome of the visa applicatiion before proceeding with the divorce. They also want her to land in Canada, before I file for divorce. We have both agreed to divorce, and there is no turning back even if she's here in Canada. However, I feel this is fraudulent, 'cos if I no longer intend to continue with the marriage, so she no longer have any need to come to Canada. What can I do in this situation? Can I withdraw the sponsorship application, or just go ahead and file a divorce and inform the embassy in Manila about the pending divorce action? Please advise.....
So you had only just made the application (according to your post) and had already decided on a divorce.

How does CIC come into this? It would appear that the reason for your divorce were irreconcilable differences and nothing to do with immigration.

I hope you find happiness in the future.

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
Hi Siouxie,

We got married in Jan. 2010 and started the immigration process in Feb. 2010. Yes, you are right, we did have irreconcilable differences steming from immigration process and all the undue stress CIC has put us through. I cannot go to live with her in her country and she cannot come here, so what is the point being married to each other?

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
They say true love never runs smoothly :(

If her medical and interview were completed and they were doing the background checks in September, then the PR would have been finalised reasonably quickly.

In all honesty, 8 months waiting is nothing compared to many who have waited literally years to be reunited with their spouses.

It would seem that there were more deep seated problems than immigration (although I do understand the stress of waiting through the immigration procedures is terrible), and I am sad for you both that your irreconcilable differences were so great that you could not repair your relationship. However, blaming your divorce on CIC seems a little unreasonable under the circumstances.

Good luck in the future.

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
I apologise - I was not aware that the application was denied. Hadn't you already withdrawn your sponsorship though in October?

Canuky said:
Hi All,

I have been trying to withdraw my wife's sponsorship application without any luck. I sent a fax three weeks ago to Mississauga, and was told a faxed signature is not acceptable for withdrawal. Meanwhile, I sent them the original letter via courier same day I sent the fax, and that letter was received over 3-weeks ago, and I have confirmation of receipt, but CIC Mississauga keeps telling me they only received the faxed copy and NEVER the original. I did same to the Canadian embassy overseas, and they only received my fax which is not acceptable, but not the original letter, even though I have proof of delivery. Now, here is the nitty-gritty, my wife and I misrepresented on the sponsorship form about her past, we know she will be banned for 2-yrs by CIC, so we quickly want out, but CIC is playing games with us. Can a local MP help us with our withdrawal request? Don't I have the right to withdraw my sponsorship application if my wife and I no longer wish to settle in Canada? Why is the CIC playing games with us? I have been admitted to Medical School in the States, and will be moving to States with my wife, and we're no longer interested in immigrating to Canada for now.

Has anyone ever withdrawn an application recently, and did they accept your faxed letter? Looking into previous threads on withdrawal, and I find they usually accept a faxed letter, but in my case, apparently, they won't accept it. Could it be 'cos my wife is under investigation for misrepresentation???
Take care.

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
Aplication withdrawn on Nov. 8th, refund received on Nov. 14th, divorced filed in Edmonton Court of Queen's Bench on Nov. 19th, spouse served with divorce papers on Nov. 29th. Final divorce judgement expected on Jan 31st.

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
Total amount of money spent from marriage to divorce- $20,000. Thanks to CIC, my debt level has increased and no spouse to help pay it off......Guess I should sell my 2009 Toyota Camry to pay off this debt!!

hello8888

May 29, 2009
Canuky said:
Hi Siouxie,

We got married in Jan. 2010 and started the immigration process in Feb. 2010. Yes, you are right, we did have irreconcilable differences steming from immigration process and all the undue stress CIC has put us through. I cannot go to live with her in her country and she cannot come here, so what is the point being married to each other?
sounds like you got married just for the immigration process :eek:

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
Hell no, am in my mid-30s, love kids and want to have my own sooner rather than later.......so how the heck will I marry for immigration purpose? Am single, again, and searching for a life partner, but this time limiting my search to the 10 provinces and 3 territories.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
I'm so, so, very sorry that your marriage has ended. I think though, that if you and your ex-wife could not withstand the stress of being separated and the immigration process, you likely would not have had a successful marriage in the long run. Love conquers all, and my husband and I knew that immigration and temporary separation was a very small battle to win.

I think it's unfair of you to blame CIC though. Even if she had been able to move to Canada after your wedding in January, it is unlikely your marriage would have lasted very long anyways.

I hope that in a few years, when you have found the right woman and are madly in love and happily married, you will look back and think that this was a very good thing to have happened. For now, I'm sorry you're hurting.

Canuky

Star Member
Sep 23, 2010
Thanks so much for your kind words Bobshynoswife. You are absolutely right, probably better the marriage ended peacefully now than later. It will be nasty to end a marriage after so many years, with kids, properties and pensions involved. Thank God its over, and I can move on.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good attitude Canuky! Maybe this was all a blessing in disguise and fate has a different (and better) future planned for you. :D

All the best!