+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC reject AOE because of low IELTS score??

Micz

Feb 4, 2009
Hi all,

I talked to my lawyer and he said that my AOE has a high chance of rejection because of my low score on the Speaking section of the IELTS. Right now my IELTS score is 7.5 on reading and listening, 6 on writing, and 4.5 on speaking. I got quite nervous and ended up screwing the Speaking section even though I completed both my high school and bachelor degree with a very strong GPA in the US and currently pursue an MBA degree there. This IELTS score gives me 73 points on the CIC's immigration assessment, more than the required 67. However, my lawyer told me that because of my score on the Speaking section does NOT meet the moderate proficiency requirement, the immigration officer may deems me NOT fit for Canadian employment even though I get offered from Canadian employer and will reject the AOE letter that I get from my future Canadian employer. Does anyone know if this is true? I have tried to find information regarding this issue on CIC website but no luck so far. Google is no help either.

By the way, I know that there's always an option of retaking the test. However, the next available IELTS test date for the General module is about 2.5 months from now and I can't really wait for it. In addition, even though I have a high chance of improving my Speaking score, I may end up doing worse on other sections. Last but not least, because of the recession, I'm afraid that CIC may tighten the immigration rules in the near future so I really want to take advantage of the current rules right now.

If anyone know any information about this, please let me know. I really appreciate it.

babutv2000

Jan 29, 2009
I don't think ielts low score affects your chances. Since you have more points than minimum required, you should apply. You may however take second test, to enable you to resubmit if required.

babutv2000

Jan 29, 2009
I don't think ielts low score affects your chances. Since you have more points than minimum required, you should apply. You may however take second test, to enable you to resubmit if required.

Micz

Feb 4, 2009
Thank you for your advice.

The problem is not only does AOE letter give me 15 points on the assessment test, it's also absolutely required. Without it, I simply don't have any chance at all. If somehow CIC rejects my AOE based solely on my low IELTS Speaking score, I will lose quite a lot of money on both lawyer's and AOE's fees (My Canadian friend paid quite a lot of money to a local Career Services Center that helped me finding an employer who is willing to give me an AOE letter. Unfortunately, I will not be able to recoup this money if my AOE gets rejected).

Anyway, does anyone know any official information about this from CIC or can point me to any immigration attorney that is expert on this?

Micz

Feb 4, 2009
By the way, unlike the General module, the Academic module is available within 1 month from now. So is it a good idea if I take the Academic module instead, but do only the Speaking section and skip the other section because of the differences between Academic and General modules on these sections?

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
I think it is possible to reject PR application due to low IELTS score. According to the CIC website, only a maximum of two categories could be at the basic level. So someone with three basics and one high will get rejected for PR.

You are not in that category of people so it looks like you are safe at least from the PR points point of view.

As for AOE, i have no idea.

The question is, can you use all but speaking section from one set of results and then include speaking section from anther set of results. My opinion is that CIC won't buy that case, but hopefully someone else can reply on this.

Micz

Feb 4, 2009
The question is, can you use all but speaking section from one set of results and then include speaking section from anther set of results. My opinion is that CIC won't buy that case, but hopefully someone else can reply on this.
Yeah, I do not put too much hope on this :(. Maybe if i take the Academic module and score 5.5 on each section, especially the speaking section so that I can show the immigration officer that I meet the moderate proficiency level of Speaking. However, instead of this score, the General module's score will used for PR assessment.

By the way, I wonder if I can also use my 9 years of education and work experience in the U.S to compensate for my low score on the Speaking section.

Anyway, if I actually have spent sometimes studying for the IELTS instead of overestimating my ability of meeting the moderate English proficiency , I wouldn't have been in this mess :(. To be honest, I only studied like 3 hours the day before the test and didn't even bother practicing the interview at all so I'm totally deserved this low score T_T. Arggh, I really hate it when my laziness comes back to bite me in the ass

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rupeshhari said:
I think it is possible to reject PR application due to low IELTS score. According to the CIC website, only a maximum of two categories could be at the basic level. So someone with three basics and one high will get rejected for PR.
Are you sure about that? The way I understand it is that you get a maximum of 2 points for the basic section so if you had 3 basic you would only get 2 points for those abilities plus whatever you scored in the 4th one or 4 basic, 2 points total only. I have not seen anywhere in the skilled worker information that you must have a certain minimum number of language points to qualify.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
Leon, not sure about it. I am assuming that based on what it said about maximum two points. But what you say make sense. I had thought, maybe they thought if someone get 3 basics, then the person may not be able to get established economically in Canada. But I think what you say makes sense.

Thanks.

spring2009

Star Member
Mar 19, 2009
[/quote]

Are you sure about that? The way I understand it is that you get a maximum of 2 points for the basic section so if you had 3 basic you would only get 2 points for those abilities plus whatever you scored in the 4th one or 4 basic, 2 points total only. I have not seen anywhere in the skilled worker information that you must have a certain minimum number of language points to qualify.
[/quote]

Can you explain more about this?
If I get 2 basic and 2 advanced scores, so what is my point?
As I understood, I get 2 points for EACH basic score (2*2 = 4), and 4 points for EACH advanced score (4*2 = 8), so the total points I get are 12.

But you said, "if you had 3 basic you would only get 2 points for those abilities plus whatever you scored in the 4th one or 4 basic, 2 points total only"
According to this, I gets only TOTAL of 2 points for 2 basic scores, and 4 points for advanced scores.

Do I understand you right? Please explain more?
Thanks.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
2 basics and 2 advanced will give you 10.

if you got 3 basics and 1 advanced, that will give you 6
if you got 3 basics and 1 moderate, that will give you 4
if you got 4 basics, that will give you 2
if you got 3 basics and one nothing (the worst section), then you get 2.

He meant, if you get 4 basics, then you get 2 points, which is correct.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spring2009 said:
Can you explain more about this?
If I get 2 basic and 2 advanced scores, so what is my point?
As I understood, I get 2 points for EACH basic score (2*2 = 4), and 4 points for EACH advanced score (4*2 = 8), so the total points I get are 12.
There is basic, moderate and high. For each basic, you get 1 point (but you can only get maximum of 2 points for the basic level), for each moderate, you get 2 points, for each high, you get 4.

If you got 2 basic and 2 advanced, you would have 2*1 + 2*4 = 10 points

In my example, if you got 3 basic and one high, since you can get maximum 2 points for basic, you would have 2*1 + 1*4 = 6 points or if you got all 4 basic, you would get 2*1 or 2 points.

That is my understanding anyway. The scoring table for IELTS can be found at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG72.asp if you scroll down to the middle of the page.