+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children Born Abroad

Js Family

Jul 23, 2009
I am a Canadian citizen by naturalization living in Hong Kong with two children (age 14 & 10) both were born in Hong Kong and have obtained Canadian citizenship.

I was told that there is a new citizenship law that all Canadian children born outside of Canada must live in Canada for a minimum of two years prior to the age of 18 in order to retain the Canadian citizenship.

Is there such new law? Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
JT

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Js Family said:
I am a Canadian citizen by naturalization living in Hong Kong with two children (age 14 & 10) both were born in Hong Kong and have obtained Canadian citizenship.

I was told that there is a new citizenship law that all Canadian children born outside of Canada must live in Canada for a minimum of two years prior to the age of 18 in order to retain the Canadian citizenship.

Is there such new law? Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
JT

No there is no such law, but any child born abroad to Citizens after 17/04/09, there children will not receive citizenship if born abroad.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The new law actually got rid of the requirement to live in Canada for children born to citizens who were also born overseas but like PMM says, your kids don't have to worry about their citizenship and other kids you may have in the future will also get citizenship but the kids of your kids, if they are not born in Canada, they will not have claim to Canadian citizenship.