+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child with Canadian Passport But Not the Citzenship Yet is considered a dependent ?

tawakoly

Feb 20, 2016
Good day everyone :)

We are applying for family class sponsorship, my wife is a Canadian citizen, however; my child has the Canadian passport but not the citizenship yet which is under process at the current moment and will take sometime.

In the form imm0008enu its required to declare all the dependents of the applicant other than Canadian Citizens, is my child considered a dependent in this case or a Canadian citizen?
I.e should i include my child in the dependents field or not?

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
How does your child have a Canadian passport if he/she is not a citizen?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Don't understand this statement...."my child has the Canadian passport but not the citizenship yet which is under process at the current moment".

Your child's Canadian Citizenship is under process.....but how did your child obtain the Canadian Passport without Canadian Citizenship.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Don't understand this statement...."my child has the Canadian passport but not the citizenship yet which is under process at the current moment".

Your child's Canadian Citizenship is under process.....but how did your child obtain the Canadian Passport without Canadian Citizenship.
If born in Canada which the OP doesn’t say one way or other then either birth certificate or citizenship proof required for a child’s passport, so either or.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/children/documents-submit.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Child likely has a facilitation passport.

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
Your child is a Canadian Citizen born abroad to a Canadian parent. The Child became a Canadian citizen by the right of blood. Did you appply for the Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and passport for for your child at the Canadian Consulate or Embassy in your country at the same time, but received the passport first? It it is normal, as it it takes longer to have CCC issued

tawakoly

Feb 20, 2016
Your child is a Canadian Citizen born abroad to a Canadian parent. The Child became a Canadian citizen by the right of blood. Did you appply for the Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and passport for for your child at the Canadian Consulate or Embassy in your country at the same time, but received the passport first? It it is normal, as it it takes longer to have CCC issued
Thank you for the reply. Yes, The passport usually take a shorter time than the CCC as you stated, however I am confused whether to list my child as a dependent in the Family sponsorship application "imm0008enu", or not?

so I guess i do not need to list my daughter as a dependent?

Thanks again,

Last edited:

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
Since your child was born abroad, the child Canadian parent(s) should be Canadian citizen by birth or naturalization, the child Canadian parent(s) must not be Canadian citizen born aboard....1st generation limit rule).

If your child is a Canadian citizen, the child cannot be added to the spousal sponsorship application as a Canadian citizen is not eligible to be sponsored or issued a visa........refer.....spousal sponsorship checklist.......Part B....Support Documents for Sponsor.....3.....Do you (the sponsor) and the person you are sponsoring have a child(ren) together who may have a claim to Canadian citizenship ?

If you (the sponsor) are a Canadian Citizen who is sponsoring your spouse, and you both have a child together, your child may be a Canadian citizen. A Canadian citizen is not eligible to be sponsored and cannot be issued a visa.

You cannot include your child who is a Canadian citizen as a Dependent in ANY of the spousal sponsorship forms except IMM5406.

You must include the child who is a Canadian citizen in IMM5406......failure to include the Canadian child in IMM5406 could cause problems......because the Principal Applicant must declare their family members regardless of whether they are Canadian citizen or not Canadian citizen, accompanying or non-accompanying dependents in IMM5406 form.

When you submit the spousal sponsorship application.....include a copy of the Canadian child Passport and proof of payment for application for proof of Canadian citizenship......to help IRCC confirm your Canadian child does not require immigration processing.

tawakoly

Feb 20, 2016
Since your child was born abroad, the child Canadian parent(s) should be Canadian citizen by birth or naturalization, the child Canadian parent(s) must not be Canadian citizen born aboard....1st generation limit rule).

If your child is a Canadian citizen, the child cannot be added to the spousal sponsorship application as a Canadian citizen is not eligible to be sponsored or issued a visa........refer.....spousal sponsorship checklist.......Part B....Support Documents for Sponsor.....3.....Do you (the sponsor) and the person you are sponsoring have a child(ren) together who may have a claim to Canadian citizenship ?

If you (the sponsor) are a Canadian Citizen who is sponsoring your spouse, and you both have a child together, your child may be a Canadian citizen. A Canadian citizen is not eligible to be sponsored and cannot be issued a visa.

You cannot include your child who is a Canadian citizen as a Dependent in ANY of the spousal sponsorship forms except IMM5406.

You must include the child who is a Canadian citizen in IMM5406......failure to include the Canadian child in IMM5406 could cause problems......because the Principal Applicant must declare their family members regardless of whether they are Canadian citizen or not Canadian citizen, accompanying or non-accompanying dependents in IMM5406 form.

When you submit the spousal sponsorship application.....include a copy of the Canadian child Passport and proof of payment for application for proof of Canadian citizenship......to help IRCC confirm your Canadian child does not require immigration processing.
Thank you so much, i am very grateful, you have been a great help.