+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child car seat for visitor

Kawal_supervisa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
I am going to have my sis in law and her 7 year old and 4 year old visiting us for more than a month in next month from UK. Would we need to buy a Canada government approved car seat for the children, or she could bring her own UK approved seat as well in the flight ?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Bring their own. No need to buy.
1. If the OP wants to be legal in Canada, they are going to have to get Canadian approved car seatsl

Under Health Canada’s Restraint Systems and Booster Seats for Motor Vehicles Regulations, and in accordance with the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, child, infant, and booster seats that do not comply with certain specifications of Transport Canada’s Motor Vehicle Restraint Systems and Booster Seat Safety Regulations (RSSR) must not be imported, advertised or sold in Canada whether by individuals or for commercial purposes. Furthermore, provincial and territorial legislation does not allow their use in Canada. Their laws are enforced on roadways by provincial and territorial police.

Probably need a booster seat for the 7 year old.

Kawal_supervisa

Star Member
Jan 29, 2017
Thanks friends.

I could see this on the website that we need to look for National Safety Mark label attached to the seat. This label indicates that the seat complies with Canadian regulations and standards and is legal for use in Canada.
Every child car seat and booster seat sold in Canada has an expiry or useful life date on it and should not be used past that date.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/choose-car-seat.shtml

However, I was wondering if there were separate rules documented for visitors at all, as in general. I read in other forums where parents of small kids have been discussing about preparations to be done before travelling to another country, and most suggested to carry own car seat as the safest option, as the car seats provided by taxi/rental car companies either are not in good condition, not clean, torn up, expired, or not provided at all. Is every parent with a child visitor to Canada expected to buy a baby car seat approved by Canada regulations even if travelling for a smaller duration like a week, and planning to use taxi/rental cars.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thanks friends.

I could see this on the website that we need to look for National Safety Mark label attached to the seat. This label indicates that the seat complies with Canadian regulations and standards and is legal for use in Canada.
Every child car seat and booster seat sold in Canada has an expiry or useful life date on it and should not be used past that date.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/choose-car-seat.shtml

However, I was wondering if there were separate rules documented for visitors at all, as in general. I read in other forums where parents of small kids have been discussing about preparations to be done before travelling to another country, and most suggested to carry own car seat as the safest option, as the car seats provided by taxi/rental car companies either are not in good condition, not clean, torn up, expired, or not provided at all. Is every parent with a child visitor to Canada expected to buy a baby car seat approved by Canada regulations even if travelling for a smaller duration like a week, and planning to use taxi/rental cars.
1. Canada doesn't have exceptions for residents of other countries.