+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing the province!

Emil7

Star Member
Jan 13, 2018
My hearing canceled due security check from June. And I didnt get new hearing date yet. Now I want to know is it possible to apply new claim in other province?

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
My hearing canceled due security check from June. And I didnt get new hearing date yet. Now I want to know is it possible to apply new claim in other province?
No.
The IRB is a Federal entity, meaning that regardless of the province where you apply, IRB is the entity that will take a decision on your case.

Ratmir

Jun 9, 2017
No.
The IRB is a Federal entity, meaning that regardless of the province where you apply, IRB is the entity that will take a decision on your case.

after new rules is it good idea to change province and go where are the minimum applicant, is it possible to have hearing earlier or that is same case and rule for all provinces?

friend of my lives in Toronto but decides to go Vancouver. he hopes to have hearing earlier.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Since it’s a federal process and they are now working on a FIFO system, changing provinces probably won’t make a difference in processing times. Immigration staff in BC will be working on applicants from anywhere.

gavendano

Star Member
Feb 11, 2016
It won't make a difference. Some refugee hearings are held by video conference: the claimant and the refugee board member are in different cities.
The date of his claim will be the main factor behind the date of his hearing. As Buletruck said, the IRB is working under FIFO: First in, First Out.
That means IRB will focus first on all the legacy claims (and probably claims from designated countries) and then start working on the remaining claims from oldest to newest.

Divan39

Mar 5, 2018
Refugee claim was not approved. Appealed not approved. We put up H & C but under exemptions kids under 12. As 12 months had not pass at time of application Jan 2017. This month now than I received reply that cannot exempt us. But now 12 months had passed now my lawyer say we will have to summit new application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Refugee claim was not approved. Appealed not approved. We put up H & C but under exemptions kids under 12. As 12 months had not pass at time of application Jan 2017. This month now than I received reply that cannot exempt us. But now 12 months had passed now my lawyer say we will have to summit new application.
You should post your question in a new thread.

Reactions: gavendano

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Given your claim was rejected previously, unless there has been significant changes, it is likely to fail again. And you are quite likely under a departure order now.