+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Status from Student Visa to Working Holiday Visa

Mio087

May 12, 2016
Hi. I am an international undergraduate who is currently enrolled in Canadian post-secondary institution.

Currently, I have been dealing with a situation that I may require to take a time off from university for a year due to financial circumstance

Meanwhile, I aware that my student visa will be no longer valid within 90 days once I stop taking courses.

I would like to ask some questions with regards to Working Holiday Visa under International Experience Canada Category.
I am a student visa holder and the visa will be expire in June, 2018. Am I eligible to apply working holiday visa?
Is there any issue that I will not be able to reapply student visa after a year of working holiday visa experience?
am I entitled to apply PWGP as long as I graduate from university
I am sorry to take your time to read my concern. However, I would be really appreciated if I can get some feedback from you.

Sincerely,

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi there,

This is as far as my knowledge extends, please stick around for more answers:

1. Yes you are eligble, if you are from one of those countries participating in this programme.
2. There might be, your break will raise some questions for sure, but as long as you can provide enough reasons and evidence you should be fine, at the end of the day you are contributing to the economy as an international student.
3. Yes, you are

Wait for more answers.

Best of luck,

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Mio087 said:
I am a student visa holder and the visa will be expire in June, 2018. Am I eligible to apply working holiday visa?

IEC programs are negotiated at the country level, you have to see the requirements for your country of citizenship.

If there is no specific IEC program for your country, you might still be eligible if you go through a "recognized organization." Eligibility info is on the IRCC website -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp

Is there any issue that I will not be able to reapply student visa after a year of working holiday visa experience?

You can re-apply, but there's no guarantee it will be approved. You'll have to work out the details of your leave of absence with your educational institution, you will probably have to re-apply. But if your institution takes you back (or you are able to transfer to a different one), and you meet the other requirements (e.g. financial), you will likely be able to continue studying.

am I entitled to apply PWGP as long as I graduate from university
"Entitled"? Wrong word...

You can certainly apply, that does not mean it will be approved. If you take a break to work, your eligibility for the PGWP will be determined based not on the full length of the program, but instead will be based on the final segment of continuous education. So for example, if you are in a 2 year program, you complete one year and take a break for a year, then you finish the 2nd year and graduate, your eligibility will be based only on the final year (meaning, a 1 year work permit instead of 3). This is because there is a requirement that the study period be "continuous" - If you are in a 4 year program and you still have at least 2 years to complete, then if you complete the 2 years and graduate, you will still be eligible for the 3 yr PGWP.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp